Oct 16, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
After three weeks, five games and a flurry of rumors, Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty has bolted the Swiss league.
The 23-year-old left struggling club side Ambri-Piotta on Tuesday and was expected to fly into his native Connecticut on Wednesday.
According to Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette, the “tidiest” explanation for the departure is that Swiss league training and practice regimens simply couldn’t match what Pacioretty — a notorious workout fiend — had built up over the summer.
Stubbs also notes Pacioretty had a long commute from his residence to the rink, and that strength-training facilities fell short of what he expected.
As for the less tidy explanation? Right here:
Pacioretty never tasted victory, arriving in the tiny village with his club two losses into what would be a 10-game losing streak, Ambrì sinking into the 12-team league basement.
Pacioretty sat out his final three games, said to have been suffering from the flu in the first two – though that might not be entirely true.
He then was a healthy scratch in last Saturday’s match, the victim, it was reported by multiple sources, of Switzerland’s import quotas; only four import players can suit up for a club for any game, and Ambrì Piotta coach Kevin Constantine used two forwards and two defencemen from outside that night.
The club reported that Pacioretty never fully recovered from his flu and asked to be released, saying he’d be welcome to return at any time. The club also said he was suffering from inflammation of an elbow.
Pacioretty’s agent, Alex Schall, told the Gazette his client is nursing a few nagging injuries, but none that would’ve prevented him from starting the NHL season on time.
So make of the elbow diagnosis what you will.
Pacioretty was Ambri-Piotta’s lone NHL lockout signing, though the team does have a number of ex-NHLers — Richard Park, Jason Williams, Nolan Schaefer and Constantine, the former head coach in San Jose, Pittsburgh and New Jersey.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)