Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Breathe easy, Bruins fans — Tuukka Rask says he’s okay.
Shortly after news broke that Rask suffered a groin injury while playing for HC Plzen of the Czech league, Boston’s No. 1 netminder told local TV hockey analyst Roman Jedlicka the injury wasn’t severe.
“I slightly pulled my groin, it is not serious,” Rask explained. “I had groin problems last year so I took little rest just for precaution.”
So…that’s the good news.
The bad news, according to CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty, is that Rask continues to have groin issues:
That’s why Rask signed only a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Bruins this summer, and put himself in a position where he needed to prove he can be “the man” sturdy enough to start 55-60 games for the B’s.
The bad news: A groin twinge in Europe and mention of last year’s injuries is a bad first sign when groin woes tend to become chronic issues for goaltenders.
If Rask is already experiencing groin discomfort less than a month into a Czech League stint one has to wonder how much confidence they should have that the lithe goalie can remain healthy.
The other major concern is what’s behind Rask.
With Tim Thomas taking a leave of absence next season, Anton Khudobin is penciled in as the Bruins’ No. 2. The 26-year-old Russian has limited NHL experience (seven games) and is hardly a steadying veteran presence behind the 25-year-old Rask.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)