Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Breathe easy, Bruins fans — Tuukka Rask says he’s okay.
Shortly after news broke that Rask suffered a groin injury while playing for HC Plzen of the Czech league, Boston’s No. 1 netminder told local TV hockey analyst Roman Jedlicka the injury wasn’t severe.
“I slightly pulled my groin, it is not serious,” Rask explained. “I had groin problems last year so I took little rest just for precaution.”
So…that’s the good news.
The bad news, according to CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty, is that Rask continues to have groin issues:
That’s why Rask signed only a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Bruins this summer, and put himself in a position where he needed to prove he can be “the man” sturdy enough to start 55-60 games for the B’s.
The bad news: A groin twinge in Europe and mention of last year’s injuries is a bad first sign when groin woes tend to become chronic issues for goaltenders.
If Rask is already experiencing groin discomfort less than a month into a Czech League stint one has to wonder how much confidence they should have that the lithe goalie can remain healthy.
The other major concern is what’s behind Rask.
With Tim Thomas taking a leave of absence next season, Anton Khudobin is penciled in as the Bruins’ No. 2. The 26-year-old Russian has limited NHL experience (seven games) and is hardly a steadying veteran presence behind the 25-year-old Rask.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)