Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Breathe easy, Bruins fans — Tuukka Rask says he’s okay.
Shortly after news broke that Rask suffered a groin injury while playing for HC Plzen of the Czech league, Boston’s No. 1 netminder told local TV hockey analyst Roman Jedlicka the injury wasn’t severe.
“I slightly pulled my groin, it is not serious,” Rask explained. “I had groin problems last year so I took little rest just for precaution.”
So…that’s the good news.
The bad news, according to CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty, is that Rask continues to have groin issues:
That’s why Rask signed only a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Bruins this summer, and put himself in a position where he needed to prove he can be “the man” sturdy enough to start 55-60 games for the B’s.
The bad news: A groin twinge in Europe and mention of last year’s injuries is a bad first sign when groin woes tend to become chronic issues for goaltenders.
If Rask is already experiencing groin discomfort less than a month into a Czech League stint one has to wonder how much confidence they should have that the lithe goalie can remain healthy.
The other major concern is what’s behind Rask.
With Tim Thomas taking a leave of absence next season, Anton Khudobin is penciled in as the Bruins’ No. 2. The 26-year-old Russian has limited NHL experience (seven games) and is hardly a steadying veteran presence behind the 25-year-old Rask.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)