Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Breathe easy, Bruins fans — Tuukka Rask says he’s okay.
Shortly after news broke that Rask suffered a groin injury while playing for HC Plzen of the Czech league, Boston’s No. 1 netminder told local TV hockey analyst Roman Jedlicka the injury wasn’t severe.
“I slightly pulled my groin, it is not serious,” Rask explained. “I had groin problems last year so I took little rest just for precaution.”
So…that’s the good news.
The bad news, according to CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty, is that Rask continues to have groin issues:
That’s why Rask signed only a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Bruins this summer, and put himself in a position where he needed to prove he can be “the man” sturdy enough to start 55-60 games for the B’s.
The bad news: A groin twinge in Europe and mention of last year’s injuries is a bad first sign when groin woes tend to become chronic issues for goaltenders.
If Rask is already experiencing groin discomfort less than a month into a Czech League stint one has to wonder how much confidence they should have that the lithe goalie can remain healthy.
The other major concern is what’s behind Rask.
With Tim Thomas taking a leave of absence next season, Anton Khudobin is penciled in as the Bruins’ No. 2. The 26-year-old Russian has limited NHL experience (seven games) and is hardly a steadying veteran presence behind the 25-year-old Rask.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)