Oct 20, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
While the NHL did their part in making their proposal to the players public this week, the NHLPA is doing the same in a roundabout sort of way.
NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr’s letter to the players was made public and in it he outlines each of the three proposals the union made to the owners on Thursday. In that letter, he makes sure to get a shot or two in at Gary Bettman and the NHL for their proposal.
Our hope was that the owners would find one of these three approaches worthy of serious discussion, but the owners rejected these ideas in less than 15 minutes, and further advised the players that their last offer was, in essence, a take it or leave it offer, subject to “tweaks only”.
Note that the league never said their offer was of the “take it or leave it” variety, but their outright rejection of their three proposals showed they weren’t too interested in what the players had to say. The harsh rhetoric from both sides is getting to be a bit much.
If you’re a fan of the numbers and want to see how the players broke it all down, ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun tabled it out for easier digestion.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)