Oct 20, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
While the NHL did their part in making their proposal to the players public this week, the NHLPA is doing the same in a roundabout sort of way.
NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr’s letter to the players was made public and in it he outlines each of the three proposals the union made to the owners on Thursday. In that letter, he makes sure to get a shot or two in at Gary Bettman and the NHL for their proposal.
Our hope was that the owners would find one of these three approaches worthy of serious discussion, but the owners rejected these ideas in less than 15 minutes, and further advised the players that their last offer was, in essence, a take it or leave it offer, subject to “tweaks only”.
Note that the league never said their offer was of the “take it or leave it” variety, but their outright rejection of their three proposals showed they weren’t too interested in what the players had to say. The harsh rhetoric from both sides is getting to be a bit much.
If you’re a fan of the numbers and want to see how the players broke it all down, ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun tabled it out for easier digestion.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)