Oct 20, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
While the NHL did their part in making their proposal to the players public this week, the NHLPA is doing the same in a roundabout sort of way.
NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr’s letter to the players was made public and in it he outlines each of the three proposals the union made to the owners on Thursday. In that letter, he makes sure to get a shot or two in at Gary Bettman and the NHL for their proposal.
Our hope was that the owners would find one of these three approaches worthy of serious discussion, but the owners rejected these ideas in less than 15 minutes, and further advised the players that their last offer was, in essence, a take it or leave it offer, subject to “tweaks only”.
Note that the league never said their offer was of the “take it or leave it” variety, but their outright rejection of their three proposals showed they weren’t too interested in what the players had to say. The harsh rhetoric from both sides is getting to be a bit much.
If you’re a fan of the numbers and want to see how the players broke it all down, ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun tabled it out for easier digestion.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 34
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)