Canucks GM denies Luongo will be traded to Toronto when lockout ends

Oct 19, 2012, 11:55 AM EST

Roberto Luongo Getty Images

A Roberto Luongo trade to Toronto is not signed, sealed and just waiting to be delivered once the lockout ends, Canucks GM Mike said Thursday on Vancouver radio.

Gillis’s comments refuted an earlier report by Sportsnet’s John Shannon.

“I’m not sure why John would say that because that’s certainly not the case,” Gillis told Team 1040. “Everyone is entitled to speculate on whatever they’d like to speculate on. We’ve moved very slowly on any discussions with Roberto. We’ll trade him when we get what we want to get for him or we won’t trade him. Either way is fine with me.

“If we can do something that is going to help us and moves our team forward in different areas, we’re certainly going to consider it. But that hasn’t occurred yet so I’m not quite sure why that would be said.”

Purely from a hockey perspective, trading Luongo to the Maple Leafs makes more sense than a trade to Florida (believed to be his preferred destination).

As it stands, Toronto has James Reimer and Ben Scrivens as its goaltending tandem. Neither has much NHL experience (Reimer has just 67 career starts) and GM Brian Burke is likely out of a job if the Leafs don’t make the playoffs next season (whenever that may occur).

Related:

Panthers reportedly reluctant to give up prospect Bjugstad for Luongo

Canucks GM on trading Luongo: “We don’t have fire sales”

1. blomfeld - Oct 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“or we won’t trade him … either way is fine with me”

Well good luck with that pal ! I can guarantee you that a Luongo trade will be announced within “5 seconds” of the new CBA agreement being reached. Yeah sure, Gillis is “fine” with a 46 million dollar back-up goalie ? If that’s the case, then perhaps he’ll hire Bill Gates to drive the Zamboni, or Allan Greenspan as the new stick boy ? The Toronto angle is interesting, as it would ensure the Maple Leaf’s get back in the playoffs. But the cost to Burke could be hideous. Unless of course the Canucks either a) agree to package several additional players with him, or b) eat a significant portion of the 46 million themselves ? Nonetheless, I still maintain that Luongo is heading straight for the Sunshine state, as per his original request ! :)

• elvispocomo - Oct 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

So what does 5 seconds with quotes around it equate to? 5 days? Maybe 5 weeks? Just curious since I’m wonder just how much stock I should put into the “guarantee” of someone posting on the internet.

• blomfeld - Oct 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I’ll have you know that I’m “Blomfeld” ! … not just “someone” on the internets :)

For the sake of this discussion friend, I’m going to say that “5 seconds” will likely incorporate a time span from literally 5 seconds on the watch, to 5 actual days on the calendar … though I suspect this will end up being closer to the 5 seconds on the watch. Now I realize that you’re a Canucks fan and all, so I’ll level with you by saying that you guys will probably take a bath on this one, but it’ll be worth it in the end. You’ve got the league’s second best goaltender in Cory Schneider and I predict that the Sedin brothers go “berserk” this season !

ps: don’t think I’ve ever offered you a video ? … sorry man :)

• davebabychreturns - Oct 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Misuse of quotes is a real pet peeve for me. People seem to be using it for emphasis when what it ends up looking like is that you used someone else’s words (and as such their meaning may differ from the actual meaning of the words).

Would you ever set foot in a restaurant with a sign reading We have the best “food” in town? enough said.

When people botch them that badly it usually reminds me more of Chris Farley (I may not practice “good personal hygiene,” I may “scare small children”..) than anything.

• davebabychreturns - Oct 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Who knows when Luongo gets dealt. As we saw with Cody Hodgson, the Canucks are obviously willing to sit indefinitely on a player who wants out and wait for the right deal – and as we saw with Mathieu Schneider the Canucks will certainly not hesitate to remove a cancerous element from the dressing room.

Knowing what we all know about Luongo, I don’t expect this player to cause trouble if he starts the season fighting for the number one job on the Canucks or even if he loses that battle; he will get 30-40 starts unless he plays abysmally and if he wishes to be moved the Canucks will certainly pursue that.

What they won’t do is rush a deal that sees them losing out on getting decent value for a franchise calibre goaltender.

Luongo can waive his NTC for any team in the league and if being a Canuck is unacceptable to him then I’m sure this fact will be brought to his attention. Until he waives for a team willing to meet the Canucks asking price he is under contract to them and obliged to conduct himself in a professional manner (something he has always done).

Another factor people don’t really bring up is that Luongo’s contract features an out clause in three years so he may not view his next NHL team as his last one, necessarily.

But anyway people have obviously already made up their minds that he is a playoff choker with an albatross contract and negative trade value, so why let a reasonable discussion of the market for goaltenders, Luongo’s long track record of success and the actual terms of his contract get in the way of that.

• davebabychreturns - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Keep in mind this is all very reminiscent of the Tim Thomas / Tuuka Rask situation in Boston, holding onto two goaltenders didn’t work out too badly for them.

• blomfeld - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Sorry, but there is a “slight” difference ! :)

Don’t be so serious man, as “good times” should always be a part of the deal ! Anyway, your analysis is essentially correct, except for the following:

a) Luongo has only “recently” cleaned up his act in terms of the bad attitude

b) comparing Hodgson’s K to Luongo’s K is like comparing a sailboat to RMS Titanic

c) the Canucks have already designated Schneider as their #1 by virtue of his new K

d) Luongo’s play is in decline and therefore his next team is likely to be his last (Florida)

• davebabychreturns - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM

What bad attitude did Luongo ever show? The same “bad attitude” that got him named to all sorts of national teams? The same “bad attitude” that led the Canucks to name him team captain? (Which might not have worked out but was done because of this players leadership, professionalism and work ethic.. )

What do Luongo and Hodgson’s respective salaries or trade values have to do with anything? My point was that the Canucks will wait for the right trade for Luongo just like they did for Hodgson.

How does Schneider’s contract determine his position on the depth chart? By this exact same reasoning Luongo is assured the #1 spot because of the fact that he makes more money with a higher cap hit over a longer term than Schneider.

You’ll find a number of writers who seem to think that Luongo’s play and technique has improved over the last couple of years, I don’t know if I see that but I do think the decline many fans claim has occurred is an illusion. Luongo had another great season last year (despite his usual brutal start) and the year before that as well.

And anyway I am having “fun.” You’re a “great debater” and responding to your “factually based” “arguments” is always a “pleasure.”
        ;)

• blomfeld - Oct 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Person A: I hope this guy knows that Dave Babych was an all-time Canuck favorite ?

Person B: I think it safe to say that he does friend …

Babych – Thanks, but it’s actually “you” who is the great debater here, especially so with matters concerning the Canucks ! :) Anyway, our discussion about Luongo is probably no different that a couple of people arguing about the color of some car … ” oh I hate green cars” … “oh I love green cars” etc … neither party is completely right or completely wrong.

ps: I remember vividly that unlike Luongo, Dave Babych “never” once looked skyward to the heavens after the opposing team had scored, as if to say … “am I the only one playing here?” .. :)

• leechap - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM

This perception that Luongo is overpriced is a fallacy. His cap hit of $5.3 million is 7th in the NHL http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2011/08/29/2011-12-top-30-salary-cap-numbers-goalies/ This is what a top NHL goaltenders costs.

2. id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Toronto needs a goalie, but with Burke and Carlisle there, Toronto might be the Siberia of the NHL. Will part of Luongo’s salary fall under Vancouver’s cap?

• lostpuppysyndrome - Oct 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Carlyle’s fine. Burke, on the other hand, has shown himself to be markedly less of a managerial genius as many once thought. Within the past 5 years, he’s been one of, if not THE worst GMs in the league. For comparison, Chuck Fletcher of the MN Wild has been with the team for 4 years, which, during the Risebrough years, was usually among the most mediocre teams in the league with a bleak outlook on prospects. Even prior to the Parise and Suter signings, the Wild was on its way up to becoming an elite team with depth, experience, and prospect pool ranked within the top 3 of nearly every scouting website.

You nailed it with T.O. being the Siberia of the league.

3. habsman - Oct 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I don’t think Toronto is interested in Luongo or any other goalie. This season will be dedicated to the pursuit of Nathan MacKinnon.

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. V. Hedman (2593)
  2. P. Sharp (2344)
  3. P. Datsyuk (2079)
  4. P. Dupuis (1891)
  5. J. Harding (1796)
  1. S. Crosby (1742)
  2. B. Dubinsky (1647)
  3. Z. Chara (1561)
  4. D. Krejci (1540)
  5. J. van Riemsdyk (1439)