Oct 19, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
Gillis’s comments refuted an earlier report by Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
“I’m not sure why John would say that because that’s certainly not the case,” Gillis told Team 1040. “Everyone is entitled to speculate on whatever they’d like to speculate on. We’ve moved very slowly on any discussions with Roberto. We’ll trade him when we get what we want to get for him or we won’t trade him. Either way is fine with me.
“If we can do something that is going to help us and moves our team forward in different areas, we’re certainly going to consider it. But that hasn’t occurred yet so I’m not quite sure why that would be said.”
Purely from a hockey perspective, trading Luongo to the Maple Leafs makes more sense than a trade to Florida (believed to be his preferred destination).
As it stands, Toronto has James Reimer and Ben Scrivens as its goaltending tandem. Neither has much NHL experience (Reimer has just 67 career starts) and GM Brian Burke is likely out of a job if the Leafs don’t make the playoffs next season (whenever that may occur).
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 45
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 31
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)