Sep 12, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Sporting a black eye courtesy his son’s elbow, Roberto Luongo was met by a throng of reporters as he arrived at the Canucks’ annual charity golf tournament today in suburban Vancouver.
Luongo didn’t tell the media anything he hasn’t said before – “obviously” he wants to know what the future holds; however, he’s prepared to make the most of things wherever he ends up playing next season.
If that happens to be Vancouver, so be it.
Meanwhile, Canucks GM Mike Gillis reiterated his stance that Luongo will not be given away for free.
“We’re one the league’s wealthiest teams,” Gillis said, as per Jason Botchford of The Province. “We don’t have fire sales.”
Gillis suggested during an interview with TEAM 1040 (audio) that there’s a “cloud over major transactions” due to the CBA uncertainty.
According to Gillis, teams with stricter financial constraints than the Canucks (like, say, the Florida Panthers) are waiting to see what the landscape will look like before making any large commitments (like, say, taking on a contract with 10 years and $47.3 million remaining on it).
Here’s Luongo’s full media scrum:
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks