Sep 12, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
Sporting a black eye courtesy his son’s elbow, Roberto Luongo was met by a throng of reporters as he arrived at the Canucks’ annual charity golf tournament today in suburban Vancouver.
Luongo didn’t tell the media anything he hasn’t said before – “obviously” he wants to know what the future holds; however, he’s prepared to make the most of things wherever he ends up playing next season.
If that happens to be Vancouver, so be it.
Meanwhile, Canucks GM Mike Gillis reiterated his stance that Luongo will not be given away for free.
“We’re one the league’s wealthiest teams,” Gillis said, as per Jason Botchford of The Province. “We don’t have fire sales.”
Gillis suggested during an interview with TEAM 1040 (audio) that there’s a “cloud over major transactions” due to the CBA uncertainty.
According to Gillis, teams with stricter financial constraints than the Canucks (like, say, the Florida Panthers) are waiting to see what the landscape will look like before making any large commitments (like, say, taking on a contract with 10 years and $47.3 million remaining on it).
Here’s Luongo’s full media scrum:
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)