Sep 12, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Sporting a black eye courtesy his son’s elbow, Roberto Luongo was met by a throng of reporters as he arrived at the Canucks’ annual charity golf tournament today in suburban Vancouver.
Luongo didn’t tell the media anything he hasn’t said before – “obviously” he wants to know what the future holds; however, he’s prepared to make the most of things wherever he ends up playing next season.
If that happens to be Vancouver, so be it.
Meanwhile, Canucks GM Mike Gillis reiterated his stance that Luongo will not be given away for free.
“We’re one the league’s wealthiest teams,” Gillis said, as per Jason Botchford of The Province. “We don’t have fire sales.”
Gillis suggested during an interview with TEAM 1040 (audio) that there’s a “cloud over major transactions” due to the CBA uncertainty.
According to Gillis, teams with stricter financial constraints than the Canucks (like, say, the Florida Panthers) are waiting to see what the landscape will look like before making any large commitments (like, say, taking on a contract with 10 years and $47.3 million remaining on it).
Here’s Luongo’s full media scrum:
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 21
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)