Sep 12, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
Sporting a black eye courtesy his son’s elbow, Roberto Luongo was met by a throng of reporters as he arrived at the Canucks’ annual charity golf tournament today in suburban Vancouver.
Luongo didn’t tell the media anything he hasn’t said before – “obviously” he wants to know what the future holds; however, he’s prepared to make the most of things wherever he ends up playing next season.
If that happens to be Vancouver, so be it.
Meanwhile, Canucks GM Mike Gillis reiterated his stance that Luongo will not be given away for free.
“We’re one the league’s wealthiest teams,” Gillis said, as per Jason Botchford of The Province. “We don’t have fire sales.”
Gillis suggested during an interview with TEAM 1040 (audio) that there’s a “cloud over major transactions” due to the CBA uncertainty.
According to Gillis, teams with stricter financial constraints than the Canucks (like, say, the Florida Panthers) are waiting to see what the landscape will look like before making any large commitments (like, say, taking on a contract with 10 years and $47.3 million remaining on it).
Here’s Luongo’s full media scrum:
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 1
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 29
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 76
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)