Oct 18, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
Big news out of Washington today as the NHLPA plans to respond to the latest CBA offer — Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom has reportedly agreed to join KHL team Dynamo Moscow, the same team that currently employs Alex Ovechkin.
The news, first broken by Swedish news outlet SVT (Sveriges Television), comes at a very curious time.
There had been a decided lull of lockout signings in Europe with one notable player, Chicago’s Patrick Kane, saying he decided to put off signing overseas to see how the current negotiations played out.
Here’s a translation of SVT’s Backstrom piece, courtesy Japer’s Rink:
Washington’s star forward Nicklas Backstrom choose to play in the KHL and Dynamo Moscow during NHL conflict.
“I want to play hockey and this will be a fun challenge, says Backstrom to SVT sport. It was teammate Alexander Ovechkin who persuaded Backstrom choosing Dynamo.”
There may be a short-term stay in the Russian capital. The parties shall negotiate in the NHL tonight Swedish time. The employer has fallen somewhat with the hope to get the game on November 2. Players union does not seem impressed by the new bid.
Backstrom, 24, played with Swedish Elite League outfit Brynas IF at the junior and senior levels before joining Washington in 2007-08.
The hope for Dynamo would (seemingly) be that Backstrom and Ovechkin recapture the magic of their 2009-10 campaigns, when both recorded over 100 points — Ovechkin finished third in the NHL in goals (50) and Backstrom finished third in assists (68).
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)