Oct 18, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
Big news out of Washington today as the NHLPA plans to respond to the latest CBA offer — Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom has reportedly agreed to join KHL team Dynamo Moscow, the same team that currently employs Alex Ovechkin.
The news, first broken by Swedish news outlet SVT (Sveriges Television), comes at a very curious time.
There had been a decided lull of lockout signings in Europe with one notable player, Chicago’s Patrick Kane, saying he decided to put off signing overseas to see how the current negotiations played out.
Here’s a translation of SVT’s Backstrom piece, courtesy Japer’s Rink:
Washington’s star forward Nicklas Backstrom choose to play in the KHL and Dynamo Moscow during NHL conflict.
“I want to play hockey and this will be a fun challenge, says Backstrom to SVT sport. It was teammate Alexander Ovechkin who persuaded Backstrom choosing Dynamo.”
There may be a short-term stay in the Russian capital. The parties shall negotiate in the NHL tonight Swedish time. The employer has fallen somewhat with the hope to get the game on November 2. Players union does not seem impressed by the new bid.
Backstrom, 24, played with Swedish Elite League outfit Brynas IF at the junior and senior levels before joining Washington in 2007-08.
The hope for Dynamo would (seemingly) be that Backstrom and Ovechkin recapture the magic of their 2009-10 campaigns, when both recorded over 100 points — Ovechkin finished third in the NHL in goals (50) and Backstrom finished third in assists (68).
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 0
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 10
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 37
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton