Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
A week ago, Patrick Kane was close to signing overseas.
Now, he’s taking a wait-and-see approach.
“I would say I was close maybe a week or two ago to going over,” Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times.”But it was just kind of wait for the right situation and things like that. You hear about this game and you hear the negotiations are going better and you don’t want to make any rush to get over there and have to come back in a couple weeks.
“We’ll see what happens with the negotiations.”
The game Kane’s referring to is Champs for Charity, a benefit contest organized by ex-’Hawk Adam Burish that will reunite many members of Chicago’s 2010 Stanley Cup-winning team. Kane was in attendance at a Chicago-area Ronald McDonald house on Wednesday to promote the event.
The 23-year-old had been linked to teams in Sweden, Russia and Switzerland, but feels there’s a good chance the latest NHL offer will kickstart serious negotiations.
“It’s a good stepping stone,” Kane said of the offer. “It’s something you can build off of.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)