Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
A week ago, Patrick Kane was close to signing overseas.
Now, he’s taking a wait-and-see approach.
“I would say I was close maybe a week or two ago to going over,” Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times.”But it was just kind of wait for the right situation and things like that. You hear about this game and you hear the negotiations are going better and you don’t want to make any rush to get over there and have to come back in a couple weeks.
“We’ll see what happens with the negotiations.”
The game Kane’s referring to is Champs for Charity, a benefit contest organized by ex-‘Hawk Adam Burish that will reunite many members of Chicago’s 2010 Stanley Cup-winning team. Kane was in attendance at a Chicago-area Ronald McDonald house on Wednesday to promote the event.
The 23-year-old had been linked to teams in Sweden, Russia and Switzerland, but feels there’s a good chance the latest NHL offer will kickstart serious negotiations.
“It’s a good stepping stone,” Kane said of the offer. “It’s something you can build off of.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)