Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
A week ago, Patrick Kane was close to signing overseas.
Now, he’s taking a wait-and-see approach.
“I would say I was close maybe a week or two ago to going over,” Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times.”But it was just kind of wait for the right situation and things like that. You hear about this game and you hear the negotiations are going better and you don’t want to make any rush to get over there and have to come back in a couple weeks.
“We’ll see what happens with the negotiations.”
The game Kane’s referring to is Champs for Charity, a benefit contest organized by ex-‘Hawk Adam Burish that will reunite many members of Chicago’s 2010 Stanley Cup-winning team. Kane was in attendance at a Chicago-area Ronald McDonald house on Wednesday to promote the event.
The 23-year-old had been linked to teams in Sweden, Russia and Switzerland, but feels there’s a good chance the latest NHL offer will kickstart serious negotiations.
“It’s a good stepping stone,” Kane said of the offer. “It’s something you can build off of.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)