Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
A week ago, Patrick Kane was close to signing overseas.
Now, he’s taking a wait-and-see approach.
“I would say I was close maybe a week or two ago to going over,” Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times.”But it was just kind of wait for the right situation and things like that. You hear about this game and you hear the negotiations are going better and you don’t want to make any rush to get over there and have to come back in a couple weeks.
“We’ll see what happens with the negotiations.”
The game Kane’s referring to is Champs for Charity, a benefit contest organized by ex-‘Hawk Adam Burish that will reunite many members of Chicago’s 2010 Stanley Cup-winning team. Kane was in attendance at a Chicago-area Ronald McDonald house on Wednesday to promote the event.
The 23-year-old had been linked to teams in Sweden, Russia and Switzerland, but feels there’s a good chance the latest NHL offer will kickstart serious negotiations.
“It’s a good stepping stone,” Kane said of the offer. “It’s something you can build off of.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)