Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
A week ago, Patrick Kane was close to signing overseas.
Now, he’s taking a wait-and-see approach.
“I would say I was close maybe a week or two ago to going over,” Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times.”But it was just kind of wait for the right situation and things like that. You hear about this game and you hear the negotiations are going better and you don’t want to make any rush to get over there and have to come back in a couple weeks.
“We’ll see what happens with the negotiations.”
The game Kane’s referring to is Champs for Charity, a benefit contest organized by ex-‘Hawk Adam Burish that will reunite many members of Chicago’s 2010 Stanley Cup-winning team. Kane was in attendance at a Chicago-area Ronald McDonald house on Wednesday to promote the event.
The 23-year-old had been linked to teams in Sweden, Russia and Switzerland, but feels there’s a good chance the latest NHL offer will kickstart serious negotiations.
“It’s a good stepping stone,” Kane said of the offer. “It’s something you can build off of.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 55
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (58)