Jay Feaster discusses Flames’ “meritocracy”

Oct 17, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

Jay Feaster AP

Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster hammered home the theme of the team’s system being a “meritocracy” during a radio interview with Sportsnet’s Pat Steinberg.

“The philosophy really is about merit and ‘what have you done for me last shift,'” Feaster said. “That’s ultimately where we want to be as an organization … I believe it’s the fair way to do it and right way to do it.”

Feaster brought up that subject in regard to goaltending prospect Leland Irving – a netminder struggling to make a leap in the system despite being a former first-round pick.

While that’s the tougher side of the policy, Feaster wasn’t shy about praising the merits of Sven Baertschi, who is off to a strong AHL start with the Abbotsford Heat. Most specifically, Feaster praised Baertschi because it seems like he isn’t treating a future NHL gig as a sure-thing.

“That’s why he is successful, has been and will be successful,” Feaster said. “Instead of taking something for granted and thinking ‘I’m just coming in here to bind my time and as soon as there’s a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in place I’ll be in the National Hockey League,’ he’s saying there are aspects of my game to work on and this is the perfect place to do it … he’s a special young man.”

Finally, Feaster had a strong recommendation for Heat coach Troy Ward, who some believed was the best choice to take over the Flames’ top job instead of Bob Hartley.

“It’s just a matter of time before he’s a head coach in the National Hockey League,” Feaster said.

If his work once again merits a few job interviews, that is.

1. ron05342 - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

When I first read the title, I thought the last word was “mediocrity.”

Which is much more appropriate actually, considering this clown’s recent history.

2. atwatercrushesokoye - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

The fate of the organization won’t change until they either fire Ken King or make him strictly in charge of the business side of all of the Flames holdings. Credit to King, he was there when the fans came back and he’s turned the financial fortunes of the team around but he’s not a hockey guy and his right hand man Mike Holditch (an accountant) isn’t a hockey guy and they’ve brought in bad GM’s and King has overseen bad hockey since 05-06 when they won the division and crashed and burned in the first round of the playoffs.

It’s time to bring in a smart hockey guy (JD!) and let him do his thing to rebuild the hockey side of the franchise.

3. blomfeld - Oct 18, 2012 at 1:17 AM

This guy needs to get a gym membership asap … seriously :(

ps: friends, Jerome Iginla is “guaranteed” to be heading to our LA Kings this year ! :)

• atwatercrushesokoye - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:52 AM

He was almost traded to the Kings in 2010 but turned down that trade, add to that the fact that he’s not a fan of Darryl Sutter anymore and I think your hopes might not be reality.

4. bcjim - Oct 18, 2012 at 6:55 AM

“bind my time” ??

What does that mean?

• blomfeld - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Can’t say for certain, but I think that’s a Prairie expression which means “tying” one’s time down or something ?

Illegal hits are down -- but will it last?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches