Oct 17, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Sam Gagner is still going to Austria. The Oilers’ forward tells the Edmonton Sun that, despite the NHL’s latest offer that’s injected some optimism into the CBA negotiations, he expects to suit up for Klagenfurter AC soon.
He could use the game action.
“I’ve been looking at a couple of different leagues for the last little bit and it just got to the point where I felt like I wanted to play games and be ready if there was a conclusion to the lockout,” says Gagner. “I felt like this was a good opportunity for me. The Austrian deal came about pretty quickly, Tyler Myers signed a couple of days earlier and I’ve kind of been in touch with him and in touch for people in Klagenfurt.
“It’s a great opportunity to go and play some games. It’s a great league with great fans and I’m excited about it.”
If the lockout does indeed end before the NHL season is lost, players that have joined or been assigned to other leagues could have an advantage over those who’ve chosen to wait it out.
The NHL has no plans to play preseason games should the season start Nov. 2. Just a week of training camp to shake off the rust.
When the NBA’s lockout ended in December, each team played two preseason games before the season tipped off Christmas Day.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)