Oct 17, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Sam Gagner is still going to Austria. The Oilers’ forward tells the Edmonton Sun that, despite the NHL’s latest offer that’s injected some optimism into the CBA negotiations, he expects to suit up for Klagenfurter AC soon.
He could use the game action.
“I’ve been looking at a couple of different leagues for the last little bit and it just got to the point where I felt like I wanted to play games and be ready if there was a conclusion to the lockout,” says Gagner. “I felt like this was a good opportunity for me. The Austrian deal came about pretty quickly, Tyler Myers signed a couple of days earlier and I’ve kind of been in touch with him and in touch for people in Klagenfurt.
“It’s a great opportunity to go and play some games. It’s a great league with great fans and I’m excited about it.”
If the lockout does indeed end before the NHL season is lost, players that have joined or been assigned to other leagues could have an advantage over those who’ve chosen to wait it out.
The NHL has no plans to play preseason games should the season start Nov. 2. Just a week of training camp to shake off the rust.
When the NBA’s lockout ended in December, each team played two preseason games before the season tipped off Christmas Day.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (98)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)