Oct 15, 2012, 10:29 AM EST
The Erste Bank Eishockey Liga — the highest rung of professional hockey in Austria — added some more NHL star power on Monday when KC KAC Klagenfurt reportedly agreed to terms with Edmonton forward Sam Gagner.
Gagner, 23, is the second notable NHLer to join Klagenfurt recently. Over the weekend, the club secured the services of Buffalo defenseman and former Calder Trophy winner Tyler Myers.
Prior to signing Gagner and Myers, Klagenfurt had a limited amount of big-league experience on its roster. Former NHL farmhands Andy Chiodo and Tyler Spurgeon are on the roster, as is former Panthers forward Peter Ratchuk.
It’ll be interesting to see if Gagner can carry over the positive momentum from his successful 2011-12 campaign in Edmonton. The five-year veteran posted a career-high in average time on ice per game (17:11) and, in February, tied a club record set by Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey by scoring eight points (4G, 4A) in a win over the Chicago Blackhawks.
That kicked off a stretch where Gagner scored 15 points over five games and broke the Oilers’ record for consecutive points, with 11.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)