Oct 15, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
The Erste Bank Eishockey Liga — the highest rung of professional hockey in Austria — added some more NHL star power on Monday when KC KAC Klagenfurt reportedly agreed to terms with Edmonton forward Sam Gagner.
Gagner, 23, is the second notable NHLer to join Klagenfurt recently. Over the weekend, the club secured the services of Buffalo defenseman and former Calder Trophy winner Tyler Myers.
Prior to signing Gagner and Myers, Klagenfurt had a limited amount of big-league experience on its roster. Former NHL farmhands Andy Chiodo and Tyler Spurgeon are on the roster, as is former Panthers forward Peter Ratchuk.
It’ll be interesting to see if Gagner can carry over the positive momentum from his successful 2011-12 campaign in Edmonton. The five-year veteran posted a career-high in average time on ice per game (17:11) and, in February, tied a club record set by Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey by scoring eight points (4G, 4A) in a win over the Chicago Blackhawks.
That kicked off a stretch where Gagner scored 15 points over five games and broke the Oilers’ record for consecutive points, with 11.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)