Oct 15, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
The Erste Bank Eishockey Liga — the highest rung of professional hockey in Austria — added some more NHL star power on Monday when KC KAC Klagenfurt reportedly agreed to terms with Edmonton forward Sam Gagner.
Gagner, 23, is the second notable NHLer to join Klagenfurt recently. Over the weekend, the club secured the services of Buffalo defenseman and former Calder Trophy winner Tyler Myers.
Prior to signing Gagner and Myers, Klagenfurt had a limited amount of big-league experience on its roster. Former NHL farmhands Andy Chiodo and Tyler Spurgeon are on the roster, as is former Panthers forward Peter Ratchuk.
It’ll be interesting to see if Gagner can carry over the positive momentum from his successful 2011-12 campaign in Edmonton. The five-year veteran posted a career-high in average time on ice per game (17:11) and, in February, tied a club record set by Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey by scoring eight points (4G, 4A) in a win over the Chicago Blackhawks.
That kicked off a stretch where Gagner scored 15 points over five games and broke the Oilers’ record for consecutive points, with 11.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)