Oct 15, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
The Erste Bank Eishockey Liga — the highest rung of professional hockey in Austria — added some more NHL star power on Monday when KC KAC Klagenfurt reportedly agreed to terms with Edmonton forward Sam Gagner.
Gagner, 23, is the second notable NHLer to join Klagenfurt recently. Over the weekend, the club secured the services of Buffalo defenseman and former Calder Trophy winner Tyler Myers.
Prior to signing Gagner and Myers, Klagenfurt had a limited amount of big-league experience on its roster. Former NHL farmhands Andy Chiodo and Tyler Spurgeon are on the roster, as is former Panthers forward Peter Ratchuk.
It’ll be interesting to see if Gagner can carry over the positive momentum from his successful 2011-12 campaign in Edmonton. The five-year veteran posted a career-high in average time on ice per game (17:11) and, in February, tied a club record set by Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey by scoring eight points (4G, 4A) in a win over the Chicago Blackhawks.
That kicked off a stretch where Gagner scored 15 points over five games and broke the Oilers’ record for consecutive points, with 11.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)