Oct 10, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Though he’s currently signed with Switzerland’s EV Zug, Henrik Zetterberg knows he’ll be returning to Detroit once the NHL lockout is over.
He just isn’t sure if Russian players will follow suit.
That’s what Detroit’s alternate captain told MLive.com on Wednesday, explaining how the KHL has become a legitimate option for a number of Russian players.
“I know for a fact Russians will probably stay,” Zetterberg said. “I can’t blame them either. The Russian league treats players a different way. For them to play in their home country and not have these (labor) disputes every other year … and they honor the contracts over there.
“If you sign a deal, that’s the deal you get.”
For Red Wings fans, the immediate concern is probably the future of Pavel Datsyuk, the 34-year-old Russian superstar currently plying his trade for CSKA Moscow.
Well, breathe easy Detroit supporters — according his agent, Gary Greenstin, Datsyuk will return to the Motor City once the lockout ends.
But while Datsyuk is a lock to return, other Russian NHLers don’t sound as committed.
Zetterberg said if the NHL doesn’t get some players back post-lockout, it only has itself to blame.
“It’s not our decision whether to play games,” he explained.” We were willing to play under the old CBA while they figured out the new one, but the league didn’t want to do that.
“If they don’t want to have us here playing, we just got to look for some other places to play.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)