Oct 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The act of fining of Detroit Red Wings exec Jim Devellano will probably keep dissenting opinions underground, yet Bruce Garrioch caught up with an anonymous “insider” who believes a big chunk of the NHL’s owners are becoming uneasy about the lockout.
“My guess is you’ve got about 10 teams that are pretty nervous right now,” The insider said. “But (Bettman) has the power of the executive committee behind him.”
Pivoting from that point, Garrioch focused on some of the ownership groups that lose the most from a work stoppage.
- He starts with New York Rangers owner James Dolan, who takes advantage of a “license to print money” at Madison Square Garden. (Also, there’s the story of the lawsuit between the Rangers and the league, which agent Allan Walsh would love to elaborate on.)
- Garrioch describes Montreal Canadiens owner Geoff Molson a “dove,” yet also points out that his interests will experience a double-whammy because of lost games and lost opportunities to sell beer.*
- Also, richer ownership groups/big markets such as the Buffalo Sabres and Philadelphia Flyers.
Even so, this quote summarizes the situation – at least for the moment.
“The dissenters are being quiet and waiting to see how far (Bettman) can (make) Fehr go,” The insider said.
And so the game of chicken continues.
* – No mention of people imbibing because of the lockout, though.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)