Oct 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The act of fining of Detroit Red Wings exec Jim Devellano will probably keep dissenting opinions underground, yet Bruce Garrioch caught up with an anonymous “insider” who believes a big chunk of the NHL’s owners are becoming uneasy about the lockout.
“My guess is you’ve got about 10 teams that are pretty nervous right now,” The insider said. “But (Bettman) has the power of the executive committee behind him.”
Pivoting from that point, Garrioch focused on some of the ownership groups that lose the most from a work stoppage.
- He starts with New York Rangers owner James Dolan, who takes advantage of a “license to print money” at Madison Square Garden. (Also, there’s the story of the lawsuit between the Rangers and the league, which agent Allan Walsh would love to elaborate on.)
- Garrioch describes Montreal Canadiens owner Geoff Molson a “dove,” yet also points out that his interests will experience a double-whammy because of lost games and lost opportunities to sell beer.*
- Also, richer ownership groups/big markets such as the Buffalo Sabres and Philadelphia Flyers.
Even so, this quote summarizes the situation – at least for the moment.
“The dissenters are being quiet and waiting to see how far (Bettman) can (make) Fehr go,” The insider said.
And so the game of chicken continues.
* – No mention of people imbibing because of the lockout, though.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)