Oct 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The act of fining of Detroit Red Wings exec Jim Devellano will probably keep dissenting opinions underground, yet Bruce Garrioch caught up with an anonymous “insider” who believes a big chunk of the NHL’s owners are becoming uneasy about the lockout.
“My guess is you’ve got about 10 teams that are pretty nervous right now,” The insider said. “But (Bettman) has the power of the executive committee behind him.”
Pivoting from that point, Garrioch focused on some of the ownership groups that lose the most from a work stoppage.
- He starts with New York Rangers owner James Dolan, who takes advantage of a “license to print money” at Madison Square Garden. (Also, there’s the story of the lawsuit between the Rangers and the league, which agent Allan Walsh would love to elaborate on.)
- Garrioch describes Montreal Canadiens owner Geoff Molson a “dove,” yet also points out that his interests will experience a double-whammy because of lost games and lost opportunities to sell beer.*
- Also, richer ownership groups/big markets such as the Buffalo Sabres and Philadelphia Flyers.
Even so, this quote summarizes the situation – at least for the moment.
“The dissenters are being quiet and waiting to see how far (Bettman) can (make) Fehr go,” The insider said.
And so the game of chicken continues.
* – No mention of people imbibing because of the lockout, though.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 5
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 21
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 58
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control