Sep 15, 2012, 11:11 PM EDT
(Let’s take a moment for a wave of “too bad the Phoenix Coyotes don’t have a no-movement clause” jokes.)
It’s well-documented that the Coyotes’ captain has spent his entire NHL career with the Winnipeg/Phoenix franchise, so it shouldn’t be surprising that he received an NMC. Especially considering the many free agent suitors he attracted.
On the other hand, many will view that clause as a risk.
Doan will turn 36 in October and while he’s been remarkably durable for a power forward, his rugged style could wear his body down.
He scored 22 goals and 50 points in 79 games during the franchise’s most successful season yet.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)