Sep 14, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan is still Coyotes captain Shane Doan.
According to John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix, the 35-year-old has signed a new deal worth $21.2 million over four years.
Doan’s decision to stay put is a good sign for Coyotes fans, as it suggests he believes the team will remain in the desert long-term.
“I’m extremely excited about remaining a Coyote,” said Doan in a statement. “I was drafted by this organization and it means a great deal to me to be able to play with the same franchise my entire career. I’m very excited about our team, our coaching staff and our management and am confident about our future in Arizona. I chose to stay with the Coyotes because I am committed to winning here, not anywhere else and I love living and playing in the Valley. This is my home and this is my team.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal includes a $2 million bonus that will be deferred until the contract expires, with $1 million due in 2016-17 and $1 million in 2017-18.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the NHL-owned club didn’t give Doan a big upfront bonus — not with a lockout looming and the owners attempting to eliminate those kinds of bonuses. (Note: it’s not known if Doan asked for an upfront bonus.)
Friday morning, it was reported that Doan’s choice was down to the Coyotes and Canucks.
Hours later, Vancouver announced it had locked up winger Alex Burrows to a four-year contract extension.
Whether the Burrows deal signaled the end of the Canucks’ pursuit of Doan isn’t clear. Both players are top-six wingers and many wondered if Vancouver could afford to keep Burrows if it signed Doan.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)