Sep 14, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan is still Coyotes captain Shane Doan.
According to John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix, the 35-year-old has signed a new deal worth $21.2 million over four years.
Doan’s decision to stay put is a good sign for Coyotes fans, as it suggests he believes the team will remain in the desert long-term.
“I’m extremely excited about remaining a Coyote,” said Doan in a statement. “I was drafted by this organization and it means a great deal to me to be able to play with the same franchise my entire career. I’m very excited about our team, our coaching staff and our management and am confident about our future in Arizona. I chose to stay with the Coyotes because I am committed to winning here, not anywhere else and I love living and playing in the Valley. This is my home and this is my team.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal includes a $2 million bonus that will be deferred until the contract expires, with $1 million due in 2016-17 and $1 million in 2017-18.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the NHL-owned club didn’t give Doan a big upfront bonus — not with a lockout looming and the owners attempting to eliminate those kinds of bonuses. (Note: it’s not known if Doan asked for an upfront bonus.)
Friday morning, it was reported that Doan’s choice was down to the Coyotes and Canucks.
Hours later, Vancouver announced it had locked up winger Alex Burrows to a four-year contract extension.
Whether the Burrows deal signaled the end of the Canucks’ pursuit of Doan isn’t clear. Both players are top-six wingers and many wondered if Vancouver could afford to keep Burrows if it signed Doan.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)