Sep 14, 2012, 5:16 PM EST
Coyotes captain Shane Doan is still Coyotes captain Shane Doan.
According to John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix, the 35-year-old has signed a new deal worth $21.2 million over four years.
Doan’s decision to stay put is a good sign for Coyotes fans, as it suggests he believes the team will remain in the desert long-term.
“I’m extremely excited about remaining a Coyote,” said Doan in a statement. “I was drafted by this organization and it means a great deal to me to be able to play with the same franchise my entire career. I’m very excited about our team, our coaching staff and our management and am confident about our future in Arizona. I chose to stay with the Coyotes because I am committed to winning here, not anywhere else and I love living and playing in the Valley. This is my home and this is my team.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal includes a $2 million bonus that will be deferred until the contract expires, with $1 million due in 2016-17 and $1 million in 2017-18.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the NHL-owned club didn’t give Doan a big upfront bonus — not with a lockout looming and the owners attempting to eliminate those kinds of bonuses. (Note: it’s not known if Doan asked for an upfront bonus.)
Friday morning, it was reported that Doan’s choice was down to the Coyotes and Canucks.
Hours later, Vancouver announced it had locked up winger Alex Burrows to a four-year contract extension.
Whether the Burrows deal signaled the end of the Canucks’ pursuit of Doan isn’t clear. Both players are top-six wingers and many wondered if Vancouver could afford to keep Burrows if it signed Doan.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 5
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 27
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 8
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27