Sep 14, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan is still Coyotes captain Shane Doan.
According to John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix, the 35-year-old has signed a new deal worth $21.2 million over four years.
Doan’s decision to stay put is a good sign for Coyotes fans, as it suggests he believes the team will remain in the desert long-term.
“I’m extremely excited about remaining a Coyote,” said Doan in a statement. “I was drafted by this organization and it means a great deal to me to be able to play with the same franchise my entire career. I’m very excited about our team, our coaching staff and our management and am confident about our future in Arizona. I chose to stay with the Coyotes because I am committed to winning here, not anywhere else and I love living and playing in the Valley. This is my home and this is my team.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal includes a $2 million bonus that will be deferred until the contract expires, with $1 million due in 2016-17 and $1 million in 2017-18.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the NHL-owned club didn’t give Doan a big upfront bonus — not with a lockout looming and the owners attempting to eliminate those kinds of bonuses. (Note: it’s not known if Doan asked for an upfront bonus.)
Friday morning, it was reported that Doan’s choice was down to the Coyotes and Canucks.
Hours later, Vancouver announced it had locked up winger Alex Burrows to a four-year contract extension.
Whether the Burrows deal signaled the end of the Canucks’ pursuit of Doan isn’t clear. Both players are top-six wingers and many wondered if Vancouver could afford to keep Burrows if it signed Doan.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)