Sep 15, 2012, 7:53 PM EST
With forwards such as Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Radulov departing town, players like Smith and Colin Wilson are expected to take on larger offensive roles.
Smith did well in his rookie season, scoring 14 goals and 36 points in 72 games. Smith was especially effective out of the gate, collecting 25 of those points in his first 38 contests. He also played in two playoff games, earning one assist.
The 23-year-old forward still has a year left on his entry-level contract, so the Predators have him signed through 2014-15. His salary will match his $2 million cap hit each year.
- Thomas forced into Stars debut after Wild’s Haula bloodies Lehtonen 0
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 5
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 9
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)