Sep 15, 2012, 7:53 PM EST
With forwards such as Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Radulov departing town, players like Smith and Colin Wilson are expected to take on larger offensive roles.
Smith did well in his rookie season, scoring 14 goals and 36 points in 72 games. Smith was especially effective out of the gate, collecting 25 of those points in his first 38 contests. He also played in two playoff games, earning one assist.
The 23-year-old forward still has a year left on his entry-level contract, so the Predators have him signed through 2014-15. His salary will match his $2 million cap hit each year.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2