Sep 15, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
Kevin Klein‘s big performance in the playoffs last season has paid off nicely for him.
The Predators announced they reached a five-year extension with the 27 year-old defenseman good for $14.5 million. That’s good for a cap hit of $2.9 million a year. Klein had been making $1.35 million a year against the cap on his last deal.
While he was a mostly unknown guy before the postseason, Klein’s performance in Nashville’s series win over Detroit in the playoffs put him on the map as he scored a goal in both Game 3 and Game 4, the latter a game-winner.
Now he’ll be counted on for bigger minutes and being one of the core guys on what’s a relatively young group of defensemen. With Shea Weber and Hal Gill already there, he’s got plenty of veteran help to lean on.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)