Sep 5, 2012, 5:36 PM EST
Milan Hejduk voluntarily handed his captaincy to Gabriel Landeskog this week, making the reigning Calder Trophy winner the youngest player to ever wear the “C.”
Many described the move as “classy,” while Hejduk explained the decision quite rationally to Mike Chambers.
“(The captain) should be somebody with a significant role on the team, probably on the top two lines, which I was not last year,” Hejduk said. “It kind of feels weird when you’re playing on the third and fourth lines and being captain. It didn’t feel right.”
His diminishing role isn’t the only reason to hand the keys to the 19-year-old Swede.
Hejduk provided effusive praise of Landeskog.
“He’s going to be, in my mind, the franchise player for a long time,” Hejduk said. “He’s young, but he’s got a good head on his shoulders. I think the organization is in good hands.”
Landeskog said all the right things, too.
“It’s something you dream about as a kid,” Landeskog said. ” … It’s a humbling experience.”
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)