Sep 5, 2012, 5:36 PM EST
Milan Hejduk voluntarily handed his captaincy to Gabriel Landeskog this week, making the reigning Calder Trophy winner the youngest player to ever wear the “C.”
Many described the move as “classy,” while Hejduk explained the decision quite rationally to Mike Chambers.
“(The captain) should be somebody with a significant role on the team, probably on the top two lines, which I was not last year,” Hejduk said. “It kind of feels weird when you’re playing on the third and fourth lines and being captain. It didn’t feel right.”
His diminishing role isn’t the only reason to hand the keys to the 19-year-old Swede.
Hejduk provided effusive praise of Landeskog.
“He’s going to be, in my mind, the franchise player for a long time,” Hejduk said. “He’s young, but he’s got a good head on his shoulders. I think the organization is in good hands.”
Landeskog said all the right things, too.
“It’s something you dream about as a kid,” Landeskog said. ” … It’s a humbling experience.”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)