Sep 4, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo hopes to be traded to the Florida Panthers where he can be close to his family. However, he’s not refusing to consider other destinations.
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel caught up with Vancouver’s soon-to-be-former goalie today at the Panthers’ practice facility in Coral Springs.
“[Florida] makes sense for myself, for my career and my family,” said Luongo. “That being said. There’s obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I’m not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up.”
Luongo met his wife, with whom he has two children, while he was a member of the Panthers and still calls Florida home in the offseason.
Armed with a no-trade clause, the 33-year-old would have to accept any deal the Canucks craft.
Besides Florida, Toronto and Chicago are two other teams that may be interested in acquiring his services (and lengthy contract).
Likewise, Toronto and Chicago are two destinations Luongo may be willing to go. (Unlike, say, Columbus.)
That Luongo is willing to explore alternatives to his first choice, Florida, may underscore his desire to leave Vancouver and avoid a situation where he’s still technically a member of the Canucks when training camp starts.
In an odd twist, current Panthers goalie Jose Theodore took to the ice right after Luongo finished his skate.
Both Theodore and Scott Clemmensen, the team’s other goalie under contract, have said it’s useless to speculate about what could happen.
Theodore has, however, said he hopes to retire a Panther. The 35-year-old has a no-trade clause of his own, so theoretically he could refuse a move to Vancouver (or anywhere else) should he be asked.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)