Sep 4, 2012, 2:43 PM EST
Roberto Luongo hopes to be traded to the Florida Panthers where he can be close to his family. However, he’s not refusing to consider other destinations.
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel caught up with Vancouver’s soon-to-be-former goalie today at the Panthers’ practice facility in Coral Springs.
“[Florida] makes sense for myself, for my career and my family,” said Luongo. “That being said. There’s obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I’m not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up.”
Luongo met his wife, with whom he has two children, while he was a member of the Panthers and still calls Florida home in the offseason.
Armed with a no-trade clause, the 33-year-old would have to accept any deal the Canucks craft.
Besides Florida, Toronto and Chicago are two other teams that may be interested in acquiring his services (and lengthy contract).
Likewise, Toronto and Chicago are two destinations Luongo may be willing to go. (Unlike, say, Columbus.)
That Luongo is willing to explore alternatives to his first choice, Florida, may underscore his desire to leave Vancouver and avoid a situation where he’s still technically a member of the Canucks when training camp starts.
In an odd twist, current Panthers goalie Jose Theodore took to the ice right after Luongo finished his skate.
Both Theodore and Scott Clemmensen, the team’s other goalie under contract, have said it’s useless to speculate about what could happen.
Theodore has, however, said he hopes to retire a Panther. The 35-year-old has a no-trade clause of his own, so theoretically he could refuse a move to Vancouver (or anywhere else) should he be asked.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 4
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 7
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)