Aug 28, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Even if there wasn’t the threat of a lockout looming over the players as they get ready for training camp, Panthers goaltender Jose Theodore might still be facing a mountain of uncertainty right now. That’s because of the possibility that he might get traded to the Vancouver Canucks in a deal involving Roberto Luongo.
Luongo is looking to move on and it would make sense for the Vancouver Canucks to trade him given the rise of Cory Schneider. Florida has been frequently brought up as a possible destination, but, as the Miami Herald reported, Theodore suspects that neither side is eager to rush into anything while the new CBA is still being negotiated.
The two goaltenders have “a good relationship” and Theodore knows Luongo “wants to be somewhere where he’s wanted.”
The fact that the Florida Panthers have been linked to the trade rumors doesn’t surprise Theodore.
“It doesn’t bother me at all,” Theodore said. “It doesn’t change how I wake up in the morning or sleep at night. It’s not going to change how I prepare myself. It doesn’t change anything.”
The Vancouver Canucks might move quickly once a new CBA is agreed to, but it remains to be seen if the Panthers will be the ones to acquire Luongo. Although getting Luongo back would provide Florida with a boost next season, it might not be in their best interests in the long run. Jacob Markstrom has been pegged as their goaltender of the future and, if they don’t get Luongo, Markstrom might earn a permanent spot with the Florida Panthers after Theodore’s current deal expires in the summer of 2013.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22