Aug 28, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Even if there wasn’t the threat of a lockout looming over the players as they get ready for training camp, Panthers goaltender Jose Theodore might still be facing a mountain of uncertainty right now. That’s because of the possibility that he might get traded to the Vancouver Canucks in a deal involving Roberto Luongo.
Luongo is looking to move on and it would make sense for the Vancouver Canucks to trade him given the rise of Cory Schneider. Florida has been frequently brought up as a possible destination, but, as the Miami Herald reported, Theodore suspects that neither side is eager to rush into anything while the new CBA is still being negotiated.
The two goaltenders have “a good relationship” and Theodore knows Luongo “wants to be somewhere where he’s wanted.”
The fact that the Florida Panthers have been linked to the trade rumors doesn’t surprise Theodore.
“It doesn’t bother me at all,” Theodore said. “It doesn’t change how I wake up in the morning or sleep at night. It’s not going to change how I prepare myself. It doesn’t change anything.”
The Vancouver Canucks might move quickly once a new CBA is agreed to, but it remains to be seen if the Panthers will be the ones to acquire Luongo. Although getting Luongo back would provide Florida with a boost next season, it might not be in their best interests in the long run. Jacob Markstrom has been pegged as their goaltender of the future and, if they don’t get Luongo, Markstrom might earn a permanent spot with the Florida Panthers after Theodore’s current deal expires in the summer of 2013.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)