Aug 28, 2012, 8:12 PM EST
Even if there wasn’t the threat of a lockout looming over the players as they get ready for training camp, Panthers goaltender Jose Theodore might still be facing a mountain of uncertainty right now. That’s because of the possibility that he might get traded to the Vancouver Canucks in a deal involving Roberto Luongo.
Luongo is looking to move on and it would make sense for the Vancouver Canucks to trade him given the rise of Cory Schneider. Florida has been frequently brought up as a possible destination, but, as the Miami Herald reported, Theodore suspects that neither side is eager to rush into anything while the new CBA is still being negotiated.
The two goaltenders have “a good relationship” and Theodore knows Luongo “wants to be somewhere where he’s wanted.”
The fact that the Florida Panthers have been linked to the trade rumors doesn’t surprise Theodore.
“It doesn’t bother me at all,” Theodore said. “It doesn’t change how I wake up in the morning or sleep at night. It’s not going to change how I prepare myself. It doesn’t change anything.”
The Vancouver Canucks might move quickly once a new CBA is agreed to, but it remains to be seen if the Panthers will be the ones to acquire Luongo. Although getting Luongo back would provide Florida with a boost next season, it might not be in their best interests in the long run. Jacob Markstrom has been pegged as their goaltender of the future and, if they don’t get Luongo, Markstrom might earn a permanent spot with the Florida Panthers after Theodore’s current deal expires in the summer of 2013.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)