Aug 28, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Even if there wasn’t the threat of a lockout looming over the players as they get ready for training camp, Panthers goaltender Jose Theodore might still be facing a mountain of uncertainty right now. That’s because of the possibility that he might get traded to the Vancouver Canucks in a deal involving Roberto Luongo.
Luongo is looking to move on and it would make sense for the Vancouver Canucks to trade him given the rise of Cory Schneider. Florida has been frequently brought up as a possible destination, but, as the Miami Herald reported, Theodore suspects that neither side is eager to rush into anything while the new CBA is still being negotiated.
The two goaltenders have “a good relationship” and Theodore knows Luongo “wants to be somewhere where he’s wanted.”
The fact that the Florida Panthers have been linked to the trade rumors doesn’t surprise Theodore.
“It doesn’t bother me at all,” Theodore said. “It doesn’t change how I wake up in the morning or sleep at night. It’s not going to change how I prepare myself. It doesn’t change anything.”
The Vancouver Canucks might move quickly once a new CBA is agreed to, but it remains to be seen if the Panthers will be the ones to acquire Luongo. Although getting Luongo back would provide Florida with a boost next season, it might not be in their best interests in the long run. Jacob Markstrom has been pegged as their goaltender of the future and, if they don’t get Luongo, Markstrom might earn a permanent spot with the Florida Panthers after Theodore’s current deal expires in the summer of 2013.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)