Aug 29, 2012, 12:17 PM EST
Things have certainly died down on the free agent market, but one guy who’s still trying to get what he wants is Carlo Colaiacovo.
An early report said the Detroit Red Wings made a two-year offer to the blue liner but Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front reports they’ve got a difference of opinion on how many years each side wants for a deal.
Colaiacovo, who reportedly is looking for a three-year deal and was originally offered a one-year deal by the Wings, hasn’t played more than 67 games in any season.
A three-year offer for a defenseman that will log tons of minutes and give you steady work would more than make sense. For a guy that misses at least 15 games per season, however, means you’re asking to be left shorthanded.
Detroit GM Ken Holland says they “need to sign another defenseman or two” but it appears desperation won’t force them to hand out potentially bad contracts. As it is, the pickings are relatively slim for defensemen.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 2
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)