Aug 29, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
Things have certainly died down on the free agent market, but one guy who’s still trying to get what he wants is Carlo Colaiacovo.
An early report said the Detroit Red Wings made a two-year offer to the blue liner but Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front reports they’ve got a difference of opinion on how many years each side wants for a deal.
Colaiacovo, who reportedly is looking for a three-year deal and was originally offered a one-year deal by the Wings, hasn’t played more than 67 games in any season.
A three-year offer for a defenseman that will log tons of minutes and give you steady work would more than make sense. For a guy that misses at least 15 games per season, however, means you’re asking to be left shorthanded.
Detroit GM Ken Holland says they “need to sign another defenseman or two” but it appears desperation won’t force them to hand out potentially bad contracts. As it is, the pickings are relatively slim for defensemen.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 14
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 53
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights