Aug 29, 2012, 12:17 PM EST
Things have certainly died down on the free agent market, but one guy who’s still trying to get what he wants is Carlo Colaiacovo.
An early report said the Detroit Red Wings made a two-year offer to the blue liner but Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front reports they’ve got a difference of opinion on how many years each side wants for a deal.
Colaiacovo, who reportedly is looking for a three-year deal and was originally offered a one-year deal by the Wings, hasn’t played more than 67 games in any season.
A three-year offer for a defenseman that will log tons of minutes and give you steady work would more than make sense. For a guy that misses at least 15 games per season, however, means you’re asking to be left shorthanded.
Detroit GM Ken Holland says they “need to sign another defenseman or two” but it appears desperation won’t force them to hand out potentially bad contracts. As it is, the pickings are relatively slim for defensemen.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)