Aug 24, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
In need of defensive depth, the Detroit Red Wings have reportedly reached out to veteran blueliner Carlo Colaiacovo.
According to Brendan Savage of MLive.com, sources claim the Wings have offered the former Toronto and St. Louis rearguard a two-year deal believed to be worth $2.5 million annually.
Colaiacovo, 29, spent the last four years in St. Louis — years that were productive, but riddled with injury.
He averaged 26 points per season (including a career-high 32 in 2009-10) but never appeared in more than 67 games in a single season, missing 69 games overall during his time as a Blue.
More, from MLive:
Detroit initially offered a one-year deal, but Colaiacovo was seeking a three-year pact.
The sides might compromise on a two-year deal. Colaicovo earned $2.5 million last season. Red Wings general manager Ken Holland has been in constant contact with Colaicovo’s agent, Pat Morris, this week.
If the Red Wings sign Colaiacovo, they would likely would be done on defense since they would have seven NHL defensemen.
A projected $2.5 million cap hit would make Colaiacovo the fifth highest-paid Wings defenseman, behind Niklas Kronwall ($4.75 million), Kyle Quinicey ($3.77), Jonathan Ericsson ($3.25) and Ian White ($2.87).
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)