Aug 24, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
In need of defensive depth, the Detroit Red Wings have reportedly reached out to veteran blueliner Carlo Colaiacovo.
According to Brendan Savage of MLive.com, sources claim the Wings have offered the former Toronto and St. Louis rearguard a two-year deal believed to be worth $2.5 million annually.
Colaiacovo, 29, spent the last four years in St. Louis — years that were productive, but riddled with injury.
He averaged 26 points per season (including a career-high 32 in 2009-10) but never appeared in more than 67 games in a single season, missing 69 games overall during his time as a Blue.
More, from MLive:
Detroit initially offered a one-year deal, but Colaiacovo was seeking a three-year pact.
The sides might compromise on a two-year deal. Colaicovo earned $2.5 million last season. Red Wings general manager Ken Holland has been in constant contact with Colaicovo’s agent, Pat Morris, this week.
If the Red Wings sign Colaiacovo, they would likely would be done on defense since they would have seven NHL defensemen.
A projected $2.5 million cap hit would make Colaiacovo the fifth highest-paid Wings defenseman, behind Niklas Kronwall ($4.75 million), Kyle Quinicey ($3.77), Jonathan Ericsson ($3.25) and Ian White ($2.87).
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)