Aug 24, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
In need of defensive depth, the Detroit Red Wings have reportedly reached out to veteran blueliner Carlo Colaiacovo.
According to Brendan Savage of MLive.com, sources claim the Wings have offered the former Toronto and St. Louis rearguard a two-year deal believed to be worth $2.5 million annually.
Colaiacovo, 29, spent the last four years in St. Louis — years that were productive, but riddled with injury.
He averaged 26 points per season (including a career-high 32 in 2009-10) but never appeared in more than 67 games in a single season, missing 69 games overall during his time as a Blue.
More, from MLive:
Detroit initially offered a one-year deal, but Colaiacovo was seeking a three-year pact.
The sides might compromise on a two-year deal. Colaicovo earned $2.5 million last season. Red Wings general manager Ken Holland has been in constant contact with Colaicovo’s agent, Pat Morris, this week.
If the Red Wings sign Colaiacovo, they would likely would be done on defense since they would have seven NHL defensemen.
A projected $2.5 million cap hit would make Colaiacovo the fifth highest-paid Wings defenseman, behind Niklas Kronwall ($4.75 million), Kyle Quinicey ($3.77), Jonathan Ericsson ($3.25) and Ian White ($2.87).
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)