Aug 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
After being taken by the Edmonton Oilers with the first overall pick of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, it’s no surprise that Nail Yakupov doesn’t want to return to OHL Sarnia. However, as the National Post reported, Yakupov doesn’t plan to play there even if the NHL season is delayed because of a lockout.
“Just for a visit, you know?” Yakupov said when pressed after flatly stating that he wouldn’t go back to Sarnia. “I have a lot of friends there, and I have my second family. I want to see (them) … I’ll go have a couple days with the family, and go to the rink and see my GM, my coaches, who helped me, who supported me for two years. The fans in Sarnia, they’re amazing, you know? I loved the fans. And probably, they loved me, too.”
That being said, when it comes to his alternate options, Yakupov is keeping his cards close to his chest. His agent suggested that he’d play in the KHL if there’s no NHL season, but Yakupov wouldn’t confirm that.
“Nobody knows,” Yakupov said. “Nobody knows. And I don’t know, too.”
For now, Yakupov is focused on getting ready for Edmonton’s training camp. When a new CBA is signed, Yakupov will be joining a talented group of young forwards that includes fellow first overall picks Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)