Aug 21, 2012, 4:37 PM EDT
One of the down sides to a possible lockout is that we’ll be denied seeing some of the great young talent drafted this summer. In Nail Yakupov‘s case, the Edmonton Oilers’ loss would seem to be the Sarnia Sting’s (his junior team) gain.
Not so fast.
IIHF Communications Director Szymon Szemberg reports Yakupov’s agent, Igor Larionov, says his client will take his talents to Russia and the KHL for the year if the NHL lockout ends up cutting into the regular season. Rather than suit up for the Sting, Yakupov will play for Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk.
Provided this is true, it won’t do much to calm the nerves of people worried Yakupov would jump ship full-time to play back home in Russia, but he’s made it known from the outset that playing in the NHL is what he wants to do. If there’s no games being played in the NHL, you have to play somewhere and doing it at home makes for a comforting option.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 14
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 53
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights