Aug 15, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
One of the stars that attended yesterday’s CBA negotiations is hopeful a deal can be reached before Sept. 15.
He’s also hoping it’s a fair one.
That’s the message from Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steve Stamkos who, following Tuesday’s meetings, spoke with the Tampa Bay Times about union solidarity and what both the owners and players’ union are looking for.
“Both parties want to start the season on time,” he said. “We saw what can happen with previous [work stoppages] and we don’t want that.
“We just want a fair deal that can hopefully start the season on time.”
Stamkos said that appearances by stars like himself, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Jason Spezza and John Tavares showed “that we’re in support of the union.” The reigning Maurice Richard Trophy winner also stressed how important it was for young players to be actively involved in union affairs.
“For the young players of the league this new agreement is going to affect us,” the 22-year-old said. “It’s important for players to take an interest and learn as much as we can and be involved in this process.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)