Aug 15, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
One of the stars that attended yesterday’s CBA negotiations is hopeful a deal can be reached before Sept. 15.
He’s also hoping it’s a fair one.
That’s the message from Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steve Stamkos who, following Tuesday’s meetings, spoke with the Tampa Bay Times about union solidarity and what both the owners and players’ union are looking for.
“Both parties want to start the season on time,” he said. “We saw what can happen with previous [work stoppages] and we don’t want that.
“We just want a fair deal that can hopefully start the season on time.”
Stamkos said that appearances by stars like himself, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Jason Spezza and John Tavares showed “that we’re in support of the union.” The reigning Maurice Richard Trophy winner also stressed how important it was for young players to be actively involved in union affairs.
“For the young players of the league this new agreement is going to affect us,” the 22-year-old said. “It’s important for players to take an interest and learn as much as we can and be involved in this process.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 59
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)