Aug 15, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
One of the stars that attended yesterday’s CBA negotiations is hopeful a deal can be reached before Sept. 15.
He’s also hoping it’s a fair one.
That’s the message from Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steve Stamkos who, following Tuesday’s meetings, spoke with the Tampa Bay Times about union solidarity and what both the owners and players’ union are looking for.
“Both parties want to start the season on time,” he said. “We saw what can happen with previous [work stoppages] and we don’t want that.
“We just want a fair deal that can hopefully start the season on time.”
Stamkos said that appearances by stars like himself, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Jason Spezza and John Tavares showed “that we’re in support of the union.” The reigning Maurice Richard Trophy winner also stressed how important it was for young players to be actively involved in union affairs.
“For the young players of the league this new agreement is going to affect us,” the 22-year-old said. “It’s important for players to take an interest and learn as much as we can and be involved in this process.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)