Aug 15, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
One of the stars that attended yesterday’s CBA negotiations is hopeful a deal can be reached before Sept. 15.
He’s also hoping it’s a fair one.
That’s the message from Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steve Stamkos who, following Tuesday’s meetings, spoke with the Tampa Bay Times about union solidarity and what both the owners and players’ union are looking for.
“Both parties want to start the season on time,” he said. “We saw what can happen with previous [work stoppages] and we don’t want that.
“We just want a fair deal that can hopefully start the season on time.”
Stamkos said that appearances by stars like himself, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Jason Spezza and John Tavares showed “that we’re in support of the union.” The reigning Maurice Richard Trophy winner also stressed how important it was for young players to be actively involved in union affairs.
“For the young players of the league this new agreement is going to affect us,” the 22-year-old said. “It’s important for players to take an interest and learn as much as we can and be involved in this process.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 9
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 21
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 12
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)