Aug 9, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
The news comes just weeks after Ottawa bought Butler out of the final year of his contract. The 25-year-old University of New Hampshire product showed a decent scoring touch at times for the Senators — racking up 37 points in 94 games — but never materialized into the top-six forward the organization was looking for.
Butler’s best year came in 2010-11, when he appeared in 36 games while racking up 10G-11A-21PTS.
The signing could be a shrewd one on the part of Lou Lamoriello. The Devils GM plucked a pair of players off the scrap heap last season — Ryan Carter (off waivers from Florida) and Steve Bernier (training camp tryout) — and they proceeded to play an integral role in getting the Devils to the Stanley Cup finals.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9