Aug 9, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
The news comes just weeks after Ottawa bought Butler out of the final year of his contract. The 25-year-old University of New Hampshire product showed a decent scoring touch at times for the Senators — racking up 37 points in 94 games — but never materialized into the top-six forward the organization was looking for.
Butler’s best year came in 2010-11, when he appeared in 36 games while racking up 10G-11A-21PTS.
The signing could be a shrewd one on the part of Lou Lamoriello. The Devils GM plucked a pair of players off the scrap heap last season — Ryan Carter (off waivers from Florida) and Steve Bernier (training camp tryout) — and they proceeded to play an integral role in getting the Devils to the Stanley Cup finals.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)