Aug 9, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
The news comes just weeks after Ottawa bought Butler out of the final year of his contract. The 25-year-old University of New Hampshire product showed a decent scoring touch at times for the Senators — racking up 37 points in 94 games — but never materialized into the top-six forward the organization was looking for.
Butler’s best year came in 2010-11, when he appeared in 36 games while racking up 10G-11A-21PTS.
The signing could be a shrewd one on the part of Lou Lamoriello. The Devils GM plucked a pair of players off the scrap heap last season — Ryan Carter (off waivers from Florida) and Steve Bernier (training camp tryout) — and they proceeded to play an integral role in getting the Devils to the Stanley Cup finals.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 28
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 87
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)