Jul 27, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Yesterday, the Ottawa Senators put forward Bobby Butler on waivers.
Today, they bought him out.
That’s the news from the Canadian capital after Butler, 25, went unclaimed by 29 NHL teams.
The former University of New Hampshire standout was once a coveted undrafted free agent, signed by Ottawa in 2010 in the hopes of becoming a top-six forward.
While he showed a decent scoring touch at times — 37 points in 94 games at the NHL level — Butler was never able to emerge as a legit top six guy and was expendable in light of various developments, namely the acquisition of Guillaume Latendresse and a horizon filled with forward prospects like Jakob Silfverberg, Mark Stone, Mika Zibanejad, Stefan Noesen and Matt Puempel.
Because Butler is younger than 26, the Sens were able to buy him out at one-third of his contract value (which was to be $1.2 million next season.)
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 43
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1