Aug 6, 2012, 8:13 PM EDT
All the same, the most probable scenario is that Kane re-signs with the Winnipeg Jets. He’s the face of the franchise and is coming off of a strong campaign, but they’ll need even more from him in the coming years.
Kane set new career-highs with 30 goals, 27 assists, and a plus-11 rating last season. He also ranked third on the team with 173 hits.
That might have worked last season if not for their defensive and goaltending shortcomings, but things will be tougher in 2012-13. The other two teams that finished in the bottom of the pack in the Southeast Division, Carolina and Tampa Bay, have made some important additions over the summer.
Meanwhile, the Winnipeg Jets biggest unrestricted free agent signing was Olli Jokinen.
To be fair, Jokinen is still a decent offensive force and might help push Kane to the next level. However, it seems evident that if the Jets want to keep up with the pack, then they’ll need to start getting bigger returns from their young guys and Kane needs to be at the center of that.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)