Aug 6, 2012, 8:13 PM EST
All the same, the most probable scenario is that Kane re-signs with the Winnipeg Jets. He’s the face of the franchise and is coming off of a strong campaign, but they’ll need even more from him in the coming years.
Kane set new career-highs with 30 goals, 27 assists, and a plus-11 rating last season. He also ranked third on the team with 173 hits.
That might have worked last season if not for their defensive and goaltending shortcomings, but things will be tougher in 2012-13. The other two teams that finished in the bottom of the pack in the Southeast Division, Carolina and Tampa Bay, have made some important additions over the summer.
Meanwhile, the Winnipeg Jets biggest unrestricted free agent signing was Olli Jokinen.
To be fair, Jokinen is still a decent offensive force and might help push Kane to the next level. However, it seems evident that if the Jets want to keep up with the pack, then they’ll need to start getting bigger returns from their young guys and Kane needs to be at the center of that.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 21
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)