Aug 1, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has put a six-year contract worth close to $29 million on the table and Kane’s people have had it sitting in a desk drawer for a number of weeks now.
They haven’t said no and they haven’t said yes.
They haven’t said much at all.
Among the key points brought up:
— The delay’s caused some consternation over the possibility of Kane getting signed to an offer sheet, something Lawless says is unlikely to happen.
And even if it does, Lawless says the Jets will match.
Buoyed by a ownership group that’s “among the wealthiest in the NHL,” Winnipeg has shown no issues with spending money. This summer alone the Jets dropped $28.7 million on Tobias Enstrom, $19.5 million on Ondrej Pavelec and $9 million on Olli Jokinen.
— Lawless also sees the $29 million as a very fair figure for someone of Kane’s status.
Cheveldayoff has made a long-term, big money offer for a 20-year-old player with one good season to date. Kane scored 30 goals and added 27 assists in his third year in the NHL. His previous two seasons were pedestrian.
New York Islanders centre John Tavares, who has 202 career points over three seasons to Kane’s 126, recently signed a six-year deal worth $33 million. Is Tavares worth more than Kane? As a playmaking centre that can also score the answer is definitively yes.
Kane is currently in the final year of a three-year, $2.7 million deal that paid $900,000 annually (though with performance bonuses, that jumped to $3.1 million.)
Because he joined the NHL at age 18 and has already played three full seasons, he will be eligible for unrestricted free agency in four years — before his 25th birthday.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)