Aug 1, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Still, depth players often make the difference between good and great teams during the slog that is an 82-game regular season.
With that in mind, here are some players whose production could go either way.
Dustin Penner – Mr. Pancakes waffled for years only to finally apply his size and skill during the playoffs. Perhaps a one-year deal will keep him hungry.
Jeff Carter – He helped the Kings take off in his limited time in Los Angeles. Will greater familiarity bring more production or mere indifference?
Simon Gagne – An outstanding sniper when he’s healthy – which is rare.
Justin Williams – Are his Gagne-like injury issues truly in the past? He managed to play every game last season.
Jonathan Bernier – Will Jonathan Quick have a seasoned backup – and at least a decent threat for playing time if he struggles – or will Bernier be traded?
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 57
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming