Aug 1, 2012, 9:15 PM EST
Still, depth players often make the difference between good and great teams during the slog that is an 82-game regular season.
With that in mind, here are some players whose production could go either way.
Dustin Penner – Mr. Pancakes waffled for years only to finally apply his size and skill during the playoffs. Perhaps a one-year deal will keep him hungry.
Jeff Carter – He helped the Kings take off in his limited time in Los Angeles. Will greater familiarity bring more production or mere indifference?
Simon Gagne – An outstanding sniper when he’s healthy – which is rare.
Justin Williams – Are his Gagne-like injury issues truly in the past? He managed to play every game last season.
Jonathan Bernier – Will Jonathan Quick have a seasoned backup – and at least a decent threat for playing time if he struggles – or will Bernier be traded?
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 5
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 6
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 8
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 37
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8