Aug 1, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Still, depth players often make the difference between good and great teams during the slog that is an 82-game regular season.
With that in mind, here are some players whose production could go either way.
Dustin Penner – Mr. Pancakes waffled for years only to finally apply his size and skill during the playoffs. Perhaps a one-year deal will keep him hungry.
Jeff Carter – He helped the Kings take off in his limited time in Los Angeles. Will greater familiarity bring more production or mere indifference?
Simon Gagne – An outstanding sniper when he’s healthy – which is rare.
Justin Williams – Are his Gagne-like injury issues truly in the past? He managed to play every game last season.
Jonathan Bernier – Will Jonathan Quick have a seasoned backup – and at least a decent threat for playing time if he struggles – or will Bernier be traded?
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)