Aug 1, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Still, depth players often make the difference between good and great teams during the slog that is an 82-game regular season.
With that in mind, here are some players whose production could go either way.
Dustin Penner – Mr. Pancakes waffled for years only to finally apply his size and skill during the playoffs. Perhaps a one-year deal will keep him hungry.
Jeff Carter – He helped the Kings take off in his limited time in Los Angeles. Will greater familiarity bring more production or mere indifference?
Simon Gagne – An outstanding sniper when he’s healthy – which is rare.
Justin Williams – Are his Gagne-like injury issues truly in the past? He managed to play every game last season.
Jonathan Bernier – Will Jonathan Quick have a seasoned backup – and at least a decent threat for playing time if he struggles – or will Bernier be traded?
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)