Jul 21, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
When you look back on what the Phoenix Coyotes did last season, a lot of the credit will fall on goalie Mike Smith‘s shoulders and for good reason. He had an outstanding year in helping the Coyotes reach the Western Conference finals but the one thing that helped him out the most was his defense. While Michal Rozsival is gone from last year’s team, what they’ve got going on in the desert is impressive.
Phoenix’s blue line is amongst the most impressive corps in the league. Veterans like Derek Morris, Rostislav Klesla and newly re-acquired Zbynek Michalek pair up with a smooth puck mover and scorer in Keith Yandle as well as future stud Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
Larsson’s play in the last season and in the playoffs helped give him the kind of national attention he’ll start earning the rest of his career breaking out with 13 goals and 19 assists in just his second season, the first in which he played a full year. While Larsson could wind up being a special kind of franchise player, there’s more youth on the way.
With great players like Yandle and Larsson, there’s more help on the way. 2010 first-round pick Brandon Gormley will be emerging from junior hockey in 2012-13 and get a long look in training camp. His eventual arrival has also helped Phoenix GM Don Maloney feel a bit more at ease with taking calls on Yandle’s availability.
Things along the blue line are great right now for the Coyotes, but they might just turn out even better in the very near future.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)