Jul 21, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
When you look back on what the Phoenix Coyotes did last season, a lot of the credit will fall on goalie Mike Smith‘s shoulders and for good reason. He had an outstanding year in helping the Coyotes reach the Western Conference finals but the one thing that helped him out the most was his defense. While Michal Rozsival is gone from last year’s team, what they’ve got going on in the desert is impressive.
Phoenix’s blue line is amongst the most impressive corps in the league. Veterans like Derek Morris, Rostislav Klesla and newly re-acquired Zbynek Michalek pair up with a smooth puck mover and scorer in Keith Yandle as well as future stud Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
Larsson’s play in the last season and in the playoffs helped give him the kind of national attention he’ll start earning the rest of his career breaking out with 13 goals and 19 assists in just his second season, the first in which he played a full year. While Larsson could wind up being a special kind of franchise player, there’s more youth on the way.
With great players like Yandle and Larsson, there’s more help on the way. 2010 first-round pick Brandon Gormley will be emerging from junior hockey in 2012-13 and get a long look in training camp. His eventual arrival has also helped Phoenix GM Don Maloney feel a bit more at ease with taking calls on Yandle’s availability.
Things along the blue line are great right now for the Coyotes, but they might just turn out even better in the very near future.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)