Jun 29, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes had a pretty deep blueline before acquiring Zbynek Michalek at the draft.
Now, it promises to get even deeper.
That’s the word out of the desert today as Brandon Gormely — the Shawinigan (QMJHL) blueliner taken 13th overall at the 2010 draft — told the Arizona Republic he’s ready to leap to the NHL.
“I feel like my game and where I’m at I’m ready to turn pro,” Gormley said. “I’m confident with where I’m at right now, and obviously this is a big summer here to give myself the best chance I can to crack the lineup.”
Gormley accomplished almost all of what junior hockey had to offer last season. He represented Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds, racked up a ton of individual awards and won the Memorial Cup with the Cataractes — and now he wants to test himself at the next level.
Just one problem: The aforementioned deep Coyotes defense.
(Oh yeah, David Schlemko also has a year left on his deal.)
As such, the Coyotes aren’t ready to pencil Gormley into their starting lineup. But they are ready to see him compete for a spot.
“I expect [Gormley] to come with a purpose of making our team,” coach Dave Tippett said. “He’s gone through all the experiences he needs to. He’s a proven winner, plays a very intelligent game. I think the maturity and just the physical maturity will help him as he goes along here.
“I expect him to put us in a position where we have a hard decision.”
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)