Jun 29, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes had a pretty deep blueline before acquiring Zbynek Michalek at the draft.
Now, it promises to get even deeper.
That’s the word out of the desert today as Brandon Gormely — the Shawinigan (QMJHL) blueliner taken 13th overall at the 2010 draft — told the Arizona Republic he’s ready to leap to the NHL.
“I feel like my game and where I’m at I’m ready to turn pro,” Gormley said. “I’m confident with where I’m at right now, and obviously this is a big summer here to give myself the best chance I can to crack the lineup.”
Gormley accomplished almost all of what junior hockey had to offer last season. He represented Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds, racked up a ton of individual awards and won the Memorial Cup with the Cataractes — and now he wants to test himself at the next level.
Just one problem: The aforementioned deep Coyotes defense.
(Oh yeah, David Schlemko also has a year left on his deal.)
As such, the Coyotes aren’t ready to pencil Gormley into their starting lineup. But they are ready to see him compete for a spot.
“I expect [Gormley] to come with a purpose of making our team,” coach Dave Tippett said. “He’s gone through all the experiences he needs to. He’s a proven winner, plays a very intelligent game. I think the maturity and just the physical maturity will help him as he goes along here.
“I expect him to put us in a position where we have a hard decision.”
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 15
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 48
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 86
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (86)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games