Jun 29, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes had a pretty deep blueline before acquiring Zbynek Michalek at the draft.
Now, it promises to get even deeper.
That’s the word out of the desert today as Brandon Gormely — the Shawinigan (QMJHL) blueliner taken 13th overall at the 2010 draft — told the Arizona Republic he’s ready to leap to the NHL.
“I feel like my game and where I’m at I’m ready to turn pro,” Gormley said. “I’m confident with where I’m at right now, and obviously this is a big summer here to give myself the best chance I can to crack the lineup.”
Gormley accomplished almost all of what junior hockey had to offer last season. He represented Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds, racked up a ton of individual awards and won the Memorial Cup with the Cataractes — and now he wants to test himself at the next level.
Just one problem: The aforementioned deep Coyotes defense.
(Oh yeah, David Schlemko also has a year left on his deal.)
As such, the Coyotes aren’t ready to pencil Gormley into their starting lineup. But they are ready to see him compete for a spot.
“I expect [Gormley] to come with a purpose of making our team,” coach Dave Tippett said. “He’s gone through all the experiences he needs to. He’s a proven winner, plays a very intelligent game. I think the maturity and just the physical maturity will help him as he goes along here.
“I expect him to put us in a position where we have a hard decision.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)