Jul 15, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
We recently discussed the possibility of Rick Nash still being a member of the Blue Jackets by the time training camp starts. As awkward as that might be for Columbus, there are a few reasons to be less optimistic about the possibility of Nash being dealt.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch touched on one of the big roadblocks: The ongoing CBA negotiations.
Until we have a new CBA, it’s hard to know what the salary cap will be next season, but based on recent reports, it sounds like the owners might attempt to significantly lower the ceiling. With that in mind, it’s hard for interested parties to accurately determine if they can afford Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit.
Compounding the problem is that we don’t know when the next CBA will be signed. If teams are reluctant to sacrifice key prospects and players to acquire Nash from Columbus until they know where they stand CBA-wise, they might need to wait for a while. The current CBA isn’t set to expire until Sept. 15 and it’s possible that this issue might push back the start of training camp.
In other words, the summer could be over by the time the GMs have a good grasp of what the salary cap will look like going forward and that’s just another reason why Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson might not be able to find anyone willing to agree to his reportedly high asking price for Nash.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 0
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 7
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 78
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (80)