Jul 15, 2012, 8:11 PM EST
We recently discussed the possibility of Rick Nash still being a member of the Blue Jackets by the time training camp starts. As awkward as that might be for Columbus, there are a few reasons to be less optimistic about the possibility of Nash being dealt.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch touched on one of the big roadblocks: The ongoing CBA negotiations.
Until we have a new CBA, it’s hard to know what the salary cap will be next season, but based on recent reports, it sounds like the owners might attempt to significantly lower the ceiling. With that in mind, it’s hard for interested parties to accurately determine if they can afford Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit.
Compounding the problem is that we don’t know when the next CBA will be signed. If teams are reluctant to sacrifice key prospects and players to acquire Nash from Columbus until they know where they stand CBA-wise, they might need to wait for a while. The current CBA isn’t set to expire until Sept. 15 and it’s possible that this issue might push back the start of training camp.
In other words, the summer could be over by the time the GMs have a good grasp of what the salary cap will look like going forward and that’s just another reason why Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson might not be able to find anyone willing to agree to his reportedly high asking price for Nash.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)