Jul 12, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Filip Forsberg was asked recently what player he models himself after. As Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times reported, Forsberg choose to make a flattering, but not unjustified comparison.
“Well, no not really pattern my game after. But maybe Corey Perry,” Forsberg said. “He’s also a very big-sized, right-handed guy. Got a good shot and also good hands and he’s pretty big and can play a bit physical, so maybe him.”
Forsberg was taken by the Washington Capitals with the 11th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. As we mentioned before the draft, Goran Stubb, the NHL Director of European Scouting, previously compared Forsberg to “to Anaheim’s Corey Perry a little bit.”
NHL Central Scouting head Dan Marr also compared Forsberg to Brendan Shanahan, so clearly people have high hopes for Forsberg.
Right now, perhaps the biggest difference between Forsberg and a Perry-type of player is the willingness and ability to play with an edge. That’s something Forsberg isn’t opposed to working on.
“You have to play by the rules,” he said. “But as I been saying before, I’m a pretty big player, and if I can use my big body as a tool to my game, yeah, that would be great.”
He’s expected to spend the 2012-13 campaign in Sweden, but after that, he’ll likely come to North America with the hope of becoming an NHL star.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)