Jul 12, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Filip Forsberg was asked recently what player he models himself after. As Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times reported, Forsberg choose to make a flattering, but not unjustified comparison.
“Well, no not really pattern my game after. But maybe Corey Perry,” Forsberg said. “He’s also a very big-sized, right-handed guy. Got a good shot and also good hands and he’s pretty big and can play a bit physical, so maybe him.”
Forsberg was taken by the Washington Capitals with the 11th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. As we mentioned before the draft, Goran Stubb, the NHL Director of European Scouting, previously compared Forsberg to “to Anaheim’s Corey Perry a little bit.”
NHL Central Scouting head Dan Marr also compared Forsberg to Brendan Shanahan, so clearly people have high hopes for Forsberg.
Right now, perhaps the biggest difference between Forsberg and a Perry-type of player is the willingness and ability to play with an edge. That’s something Forsberg isn’t opposed to working on.
“You have to play by the rules,” he said. “But as I been saying before, I’m a pretty big player, and if I can use my big body as a tool to my game, yeah, that would be great.”
He’s expected to spend the 2012-13 campaign in Sweden, but after that, he’ll likely come to North America with the hope of becoming an NHL star.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)