Jul 12, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Filip Forsberg was asked recently what player he models himself after. As Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times reported, Forsberg choose to make a flattering, but not unjustified comparison.
“Well, no not really pattern my game after. But maybe Corey Perry,” Forsberg said. “He’s also a very big-sized, right-handed guy. Got a good shot and also good hands and he’s pretty big and can play a bit physical, so maybe him.”
Forsberg was taken by the Washington Capitals with the 11th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. As we mentioned before the draft, Goran Stubb, the NHL Director of European Scouting, previously compared Forsberg to “to Anaheim’s Corey Perry a little bit.”
NHL Central Scouting head Dan Marr also compared Forsberg to Brendan Shanahan, so clearly people have high hopes for Forsberg.
Right now, perhaps the biggest difference between Forsberg and a Perry-type of player is the willingness and ability to play with an edge. That’s something Forsberg isn’t opposed to working on.
“You have to play by the rules,” he said. “But as I been saying before, I’m a pretty big player, and if I can use my big body as a tool to my game, yeah, that would be great.”
He’s expected to spend the 2012-13 campaign in Sweden, but after that, he’ll likely come to North America with the hope of becoming an NHL star.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 0
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 21
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 7
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)