Jul 12, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Filip Forsberg was asked recently what player he models himself after. As Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times reported, Forsberg choose to make a flattering, but not unjustified comparison.
“Well, no not really pattern my game after. But maybe Corey Perry,” Forsberg said. “He’s also a very big-sized, right-handed guy. Got a good shot and also good hands and he’s pretty big and can play a bit physical, so maybe him.”
Forsberg was taken by the Washington Capitals with the 11th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. As we mentioned before the draft, Goran Stubb, the NHL Director of European Scouting, previously compared Forsberg to “to Anaheim’s Corey Perry a little bit.”
NHL Central Scouting head Dan Marr also compared Forsberg to Brendan Shanahan, so clearly people have high hopes for Forsberg.
Right now, perhaps the biggest difference between Forsberg and a Perry-type of player is the willingness and ability to play with an edge. That’s something Forsberg isn’t opposed to working on.
“You have to play by the rules,” he said. “But as I been saying before, I’m a pretty big player, and if I can use my big body as a tool to my game, yeah, that would be great.”
He’s expected to spend the 2012-13 campaign in Sweden, but after that, he’ll likely come to North America with the hope of becoming an NHL star.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)