Jul 12, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Filip Forsberg was asked recently what player he models himself after. As Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times reported, Forsberg choose to make a flattering, but not unjustified comparison.
“Well, no not really pattern my game after. But maybe Corey Perry,” Forsberg said. “He’s also a very big-sized, right-handed guy. Got a good shot and also good hands and he’s pretty big and can play a bit physical, so maybe him.”
Forsberg was taken by the Washington Capitals with the 11th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. As we mentioned before the draft, Goran Stubb, the NHL Director of European Scouting, previously compared Forsberg to “to Anaheim’s Corey Perry a little bit.”
NHL Central Scouting head Dan Marr also compared Forsberg to Brendan Shanahan, so clearly people have high hopes for Forsberg.
Right now, perhaps the biggest difference between Forsberg and a Perry-type of player is the willingness and ability to play with an edge. That’s something Forsberg isn’t opposed to working on.
“You have to play by the rules,” he said. “But as I been saying before, I’m a pretty big player, and if I can use my big body as a tool to my game, yeah, that would be great.”
He’s expected to spend the 2012-13 campaign in Sweden, but after that, he’ll likely come to North America with the hope of becoming an NHL star.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)