Jul 11, 2012, 5:04 PM EST
Next week could be a big one for Shea Weber and the Nashville Predators as the two sides are expected to talk contract.
Specifically, they’ll be talking long-term contract.
Preds GM David Poile provided The Tennessean with an update on the situation.
“I talked to (his agent) Jarrett (Bousquet) yesterday and had a good conversation,” Poile said. “Shea and all his friends and people will be together this weekend for his charity golf tournament in his name in Sicamous (British Columbia). They’re going to be doing that and then we’re going to talk next week.”
If Weber is unwilling to commit for multiple years in Nashville, Poile could be forced to trade the team’s captain rather than risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent next summer, a la Ryan Suter.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 24
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 60
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)