Jul 11, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Next week could be a big one for Shea Weber and the Nashville Predators as the two sides are expected to talk contract.
Specifically, they’ll be talking long-term contract.
Preds GM David Poile provided The Tennessean with an update on the situation.
“I talked to (his agent) Jarrett (Bousquet) yesterday and had a good conversation,” Poile said. “Shea and all his friends and people will be together this weekend for his charity golf tournament in his name in Sicamous (British Columbia). They’re going to be doing that and then we’re going to talk next week.”
If Weber is unwilling to commit for multiple years in Nashville, Poile could be forced to trade the team’s captain rather than risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent next summer, a la Ryan Suter.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)