Jul 11, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Next week could be a big one for Shea Weber and the Nashville Predators as the two sides are expected to talk contract.
Specifically, they’ll be talking long-term contract.
Preds GM David Poile provided The Tennessean with an update on the situation.
“I talked to (his agent) Jarrett (Bousquet) yesterday and had a good conversation,” Poile said. “Shea and all his friends and people will be together this weekend for his charity golf tournament in his name in Sicamous (British Columbia). They’re going to be doing that and then we’re going to talk next week.”
If Weber is unwilling to commit for multiple years in Nashville, Poile could be forced to trade the team’s captain rather than risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent next summer, a la Ryan Suter.
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 0
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 17
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4