Jul 8, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
Restricted free agent Shea Weber could sign a one-year deal with the Nashville Predators and then test the unrestricted free agent market in 2013, but the New York Post’s Larry Brooks doesn’t think he’ll do that.
The problem, as Brooks sees it, is that the new CBA might combat the heavily front-loaded, long-term contracts that we seen superstars command over the last few years. With the current CBA set to expire on Sept. 15, Weber might not have much time left if he wants to sign a deal similar to what his former teammate, Ryan Suter got.
That actually works to the Nashville Predators advantage, as it’s one thing they could potential hold over Weber’s head even if he’s uncertain about the direction of the franchise after the team lost Suter. On the other hand, it might also lead Weber to request a trade in the hope that he can head to a team that he does want to sign a lifetime contract with before they go out of style.
Of course, all this is just speculation until we get more of an indication of what’s happening with Weber.
It’s also reasonable to say that if the Nashville Predators do decide to trade Weber, they could get a pretty large haul for him despite the fact that he’s currently unsigned. In fact, given his age and what Weber brings to the table, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nashville could get more back for him than Columbus could get for Rick Nash.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)