Jul 8, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
Restricted free agent Shea Weber could sign a one-year deal with the Nashville Predators and then test the unrestricted free agent market in 2013, but the New York Post’s Larry Brooks doesn’t think he’ll do that.
The problem, as Brooks sees it, is that the new CBA might combat the heavily front-loaded, long-term contracts that we seen superstars command over the last few years. With the current CBA set to expire on Sept. 15, Weber might not have much time left if he wants to sign a deal similar to what his former teammate, Ryan Suter got.
That actually works to the Nashville Predators advantage, as it’s one thing they could potential hold over Weber’s head even if he’s uncertain about the direction of the franchise after the team lost Suter. On the other hand, it might also lead Weber to request a trade in the hope that he can head to a team that he does want to sign a lifetime contract with before they go out of style.
Of course, all this is just speculation until we get more of an indication of what’s happening with Weber.
It’s also reasonable to say that if the Nashville Predators do decide to trade Weber, they could get a pretty large haul for him despite the fact that he’s currently unsigned. In fact, given his age and what Weber brings to the table, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nashville could get more back for him than Columbus could get for Rick Nash.
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 11
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22