Jul 8, 2012, 6:10 PM EST
Restricted free agent Shea Weber could sign a one-year deal with the Nashville Predators and then test the unrestricted free agent market in 2013, but the New York Post’s Larry Brooks doesn’t think he’ll do that.
The problem, as Brooks sees it, is that the new CBA might combat the heavily front-loaded, long-term contracts that we seen superstars command over the last few years. With the current CBA set to expire on Sept. 15, Weber might not have much time left if he wants to sign a deal similar to what his former teammate, Ryan Suter got.
That actually works to the Nashville Predators advantage, as it’s one thing they could potential hold over Weber’s head even if he’s uncertain about the direction of the franchise after the team lost Suter. On the other hand, it might also lead Weber to request a trade in the hope that he can head to a team that he does want to sign a lifetime contract with before they go out of style.
Of course, all this is just speculation until we get more of an indication of what’s happening with Weber.
It’s also reasonable to say that if the Nashville Predators do decide to trade Weber, they could get a pretty large haul for him despite the fact that he’s currently unsigned. In fact, given his age and what Weber brings to the table, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nashville could get more back for him than Columbus could get for Rick Nash.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)