Jul 8, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
Restricted free agent Shea Weber could sign a one-year deal with the Nashville Predators and then test the unrestricted free agent market in 2013, but the New York Post’s Larry Brooks doesn’t think he’ll do that.
The problem, as Brooks sees it, is that the new CBA might combat the heavily front-loaded, long-term contracts that we seen superstars command over the last few years. With the current CBA set to expire on Sept. 15, Weber might not have much time left if he wants to sign a deal similar to what his former teammate, Ryan Suter got.
That actually works to the Nashville Predators advantage, as it’s one thing they could potential hold over Weber’s head even if he’s uncertain about the direction of the franchise after the team lost Suter. On the other hand, it might also lead Weber to request a trade in the hope that he can head to a team that he does want to sign a lifetime contract with before they go out of style.
Of course, all this is just speculation until we get more of an indication of what’s happening with Weber.
It’s also reasonable to say that if the Nashville Predators do decide to trade Weber, they could get a pretty large haul for him despite the fact that he’s currently unsigned. In fact, given his age and what Weber brings to the table, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nashville could get more back for him than Columbus could get for Rick Nash.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (147)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)