Jul 5, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
From The Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa:
Before accepting Minnesota’s contract, Parise received a significant offer from the Bruins, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. It is unknown how closely Boston’s bid approached Minnesota’s.
At first glance, the paragraph almost doesn’t make sense. The Bruins are pressed right against the salary cap ceiling (Capgeek has them at $69.9 million) with close to $40 million locked into forwards.
But then again…
That’s where things would get interesting, because in 2013-14 Boston starts to see some contracts come off the books. Nathan Horton‘s a UFA while Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Seguin are all RFAs — ergo, adding a significant long-term, big-money contract would (theoretically) become more feasible.
Anyway, it’s all speculation and hypotheticals now because Parise’s inked with Minnesota. But that said…if the Bruins were indeed angling for Parise, perhaps they’re in on other big fish *cough* Rick Nash *cough* as well.
(Yeah, I know the Bruins aren’t on Rick Nash’s rumored “approved list.” Don’t let that get in the way of some good hotstove banter.)
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)