Jul 5, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
From The Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa:
Before accepting Minnesota’s contract, Parise received a significant offer from the Bruins, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. It is unknown how closely Boston’s bid approached Minnesota’s.
At first glance, the paragraph almost doesn’t make sense. The Bruins are pressed right against the salary cap ceiling (Capgeek has them at $69.9 million) with close to $40 million locked into forwards.
But then again…
That’s where things would get interesting, because in 2013-14 Boston starts to see some contracts come off the books. Nathan Horton‘s a UFA while Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Seguin are all RFAs — ergo, adding a significant long-term, big-money contract would (theoretically) become more feasible.
Anyway, it’s all speculation and hypotheticals now because Parise’s inked with Minnesota. But that said…if the Bruins were indeed angling for Parise, perhaps they’re in on other big fish *cough* Rick Nash *cough* as well.
(Yeah, I know the Bruins aren’t on Rick Nash’s rumored “approved list.” Don’t let that get in the way of some good hotstove banter.)
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39