Jul 5, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
From The Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa:
Before accepting Minnesota’s contract, Parise received a significant offer from the Bruins, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. It is unknown how closely Boston’s bid approached Minnesota’s.
At first glance, the paragraph almost doesn’t make sense. The Bruins are pressed right against the salary cap ceiling (Capgeek has them at $69.9 million) with close to $40 million locked into forwards.
But then again…
That’s where things would get interesting, because in 2013-14 Boston starts to see some contracts come off the books. Nathan Horton‘s a UFA while Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Seguin are all RFAs — ergo, adding a significant long-term, big-money contract would (theoretically) become more feasible.
Anyway, it’s all speculation and hypotheticals now because Parise’s inked with Minnesota. But that said…if the Bruins were indeed angling for Parise, perhaps they’re in on other big fish *cough* Rick Nash *cough* as well.
(Yeah, I know the Bruins aren’t on Rick Nash’s rumored “approved list.” Don’t let that get in the way of some good hotstove banter.)
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)