Jul 5, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
From The Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa:
Before accepting Minnesota’s contract, Parise received a significant offer from the Bruins, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. It is unknown how closely Boston’s bid approached Minnesota’s.
At first glance, the paragraph almost doesn’t make sense. The Bruins are pressed right against the salary cap ceiling (Capgeek has them at $69.9 million) with close to $40 million locked into forwards.
But then again…
That’s where things would get interesting, because in 2013-14 Boston starts to see some contracts come off the books. Nathan Horton‘s a UFA while Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Seguin are all RFAs — ergo, adding a significant long-term, big-money contract would (theoretically) become more feasible.
Anyway, it’s all speculation and hypotheticals now because Parise’s inked with Minnesota. But that said…if the Bruins were indeed angling for Parise, perhaps they’re in on other big fish *cough* Rick Nash *cough* as well.
(Yeah, I know the Bruins aren’t on Rick Nash’s rumored “approved list.” Don’t let that get in the way of some good hotstove banter.)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 9
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)