Jul 5, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
From The Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa:
Before accepting Minnesota’s contract, Parise received a significant offer from the Bruins, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. It is unknown how closely Boston’s bid approached Minnesota’s.
At first glance, the paragraph almost doesn’t make sense. The Bruins are pressed right against the salary cap ceiling (Capgeek has them at $69.9 million) with close to $40 million locked into forwards.
But then again…
That’s where things would get interesting, because in 2013-14 Boston starts to see some contracts come off the books. Nathan Horton‘s a UFA while Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Seguin are all RFAs — ergo, adding a significant long-term, big-money contract would (theoretically) become more feasible.
Anyway, it’s all speculation and hypotheticals now because Parise’s inked with Minnesota. But that said…if the Bruins were indeed angling for Parise, perhaps they’re in on other big fish *cough* Rick Nash *cough* as well.
(Yeah, I know the Bruins aren’t on Rick Nash’s rumored “approved list.” Don’t let that get in the way of some good hotstove banter.)
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39