Jul 4, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Could Rick Nash be the winger Pittsburgh’s been searching for to play with Sidney Crosby? According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, the Blue Jackets’ captain wouldn’t have a problem with that.
Portzline reports there are at least five teams to which Nash would be willing to accept a trade – the Penguins, Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings and Sharks. (There could be one or two more, but those five are confirmed.)
If the Penguins are interested — big if at this point — the salary cap shouldn’t be an impediment. It’s not known what Pens GM Ray Shero offered to Zach Parise, but it’s safe to assume it was close to Nash’s $7.8 million cap hit.
On top of that, Pittsburgh wouldn’t have to give Nash a ton of money up front – he’s got six years left on his deal with an annual salary that ranges between $7.6 million and $8.2 million.
On the other hand, Nash won’t come to the Pens without something significant going back the other way. So again, if Shero’s interested, what would he be willing to give up?
Pittsburgh has some good prospects like defensemen Joe Morrow and Simon Despres, as well as forward Beau Bennett.
But if Jackets GM Scott Howson wants a roster player that can step in and make a difference right away, what can Shero offer? Paul Martin? Because that might not get it done.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22