Jul 4, 2012, 5:07 PM EST
Could Rick Nash be the winger Pittsburgh’s been searching for to play with Sidney Crosby? According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, the Blue Jackets’ captain wouldn’t have a problem with that.
Portzline reports there are at least five teams to which Nash would be willing to accept a trade – the Penguins, Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings and Sharks. (There could be one or two more, but those five are confirmed.)
If the Penguins are interested — big if at this point — the salary cap shouldn’t be an impediment. It’s not known what Pens GM Ray Shero offered to Zach Parise, but it’s safe to assume it was close to Nash’s $7.8 million cap hit.
On top of that, Pittsburgh wouldn’t have to give Nash a ton of money up front – he’s got six years left on his deal with an annual salary that ranges between $7.6 million and $8.2 million.
On the other hand, Nash won’t come to the Pens without something significant going back the other way. So again, if Shero’s interested, what would he be willing to give up?
Pittsburgh has some good prospects like defensemen Joe Morrow and Simon Despres, as well as forward Beau Bennett.
But if Jackets GM Scott Howson wants a roster player that can step in and make a difference right away, what can Shero offer? Paul Martin? Because that might not get it done.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 62
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17