Jul 4, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Could Rick Nash be the winger Pittsburgh’s been searching for to play with Sidney Crosby? According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, the Blue Jackets’ captain wouldn’t have a problem with that.
Portzline reports there are at least five teams to which Nash would be willing to accept a trade – the Penguins, Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings and Sharks. (There could be one or two more, but those five are confirmed.)
If the Penguins are interested — big if at this point — the salary cap shouldn’t be an impediment. It’s not known what Pens GM Ray Shero offered to Zach Parise, but it’s safe to assume it was close to Nash’s $7.8 million cap hit.
On top of that, Pittsburgh wouldn’t have to give Nash a ton of money up front – he’s got six years left on his deal with an annual salary that ranges between $7.6 million and $8.2 million.
On the other hand, Nash won’t come to the Pens without something significant going back the other way. So again, if Shero’s interested, what would he be willing to give up?
Pittsburgh has some good prospects like defensemen Joe Morrow and Simon Despres, as well as forward Beau Bennett.
But if Jackets GM Scott Howson wants a roster player that can step in and make a difference right away, what can Shero offer? Paul Martin? Because that might not get it done.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 32
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25