Jul 4, 2012, 5:07 PM EST
Could Rick Nash be the winger Pittsburgh’s been searching for to play with Sidney Crosby? According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, the Blue Jackets’ captain wouldn’t have a problem with that.
Portzline reports there are at least five teams to which Nash would be willing to accept a trade – the Penguins, Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings and Sharks. (There could be one or two more, but those five are confirmed.)
If the Penguins are interested — big if at this point — the salary cap shouldn’t be an impediment. It’s not known what Pens GM Ray Shero offered to Zach Parise, but it’s safe to assume it was close to Nash’s $7.8 million cap hit.
On top of that, Pittsburgh wouldn’t have to give Nash a ton of money up front – he’s got six years left on his deal with an annual salary that ranges between $7.6 million and $8.2 million.
On the other hand, Nash won’t come to the Pens without something significant going back the other way. So again, if Shero’s interested, what would he be willing to give up?
Pittsburgh has some good prospects like defensemen Joe Morrow and Simon Despres, as well as forward Beau Bennett.
But if Jackets GM Scott Howson wants a roster player that can step in and make a difference right away, what can Shero offer? Paul Martin? Because that might not get it done.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)