Jul 4, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Could Rick Nash be the winger Pittsburgh’s been searching for to play with Sidney Crosby? According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, the Blue Jackets’ captain wouldn’t have a problem with that.
Portzline reports there are at least five teams to which Nash would be willing to accept a trade – the Penguins, Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings and Sharks. (There could be one or two more, but those five are confirmed.)
If the Penguins are interested — big if at this point — the salary cap shouldn’t be an impediment. It’s not known what Pens GM Ray Shero offered to Zach Parise, but it’s safe to assume it was close to Nash’s $7.8 million cap hit.
On top of that, Pittsburgh wouldn’t have to give Nash a ton of money up front – he’s got six years left on his deal with an annual salary that ranges between $7.6 million and $8.2 million.
On the other hand, Nash won’t come to the Pens without something significant going back the other way. So again, if Shero’s interested, what would he be willing to give up?
Pittsburgh has some good prospects like defensemen Joe Morrow and Simon Despres, as well as forward Beau Bennett.
But if Jackets GM Scott Howson wants a roster player that can step in and make a difference right away, what can Shero offer? Paul Martin? Because that might not get it done.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 10
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 8
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)