Jul 2, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres and Dallas Stars made a big splash on Monday, spicing up an otherwise uneventful second day of free agency.
Roy, 29, is the centerpiece of the deal. The diminutive center has an enticing skill set and was nearly a point-a-game player from 2007-11 (255 points in 275 games), though he did fall on hard times last year, scoring just 44 points in 80 games.
He’ll fit nicely into the Stars lineup, replacing the recently-traded Mike Ribeiro as one of Dallas’ top two centers. He’ll also help out an anemic power play that finished dead last (13.5 percent) in the NHL — despite his poor campaign last year, Roy still finished third among all Sabres in power play goals.
As for Ott, he fits in nicely with what the Sabres are trying to do this offseason: Add more snarl.
The Sabres signed 6-foot-8 leviathan John Scott yesterday — he promptly promised “a different outcome” should anybody bowl over Ryan Miller next season — and while Ott lacks Scott’s towering presence, he’s a nasty piece of business in his own right. “The Rat” is one of the league’s most annoying and relentless pests, one that’s not afraid to drop the mitts (he’s fought 27 times over the last three seasons.)
Pardy, 28, is a physical, stay-at-home defenseman that’s been sidelined by shoulder and rib injuries over the last two seasons. At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, he could work his way into Buffalo’s bottom pair solely on his ability to lay the body.
Of note, the deal puts Ott on the same team as Patrick Kaleta, regarded as an equal (if not superior) crap disturber. The Sabres will be a tougher team to play against next season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)