Jul 2, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres and Dallas Stars made a big splash on Monday, spicing up an otherwise uneventful second day of free agency.
Roy, 29, is the centerpiece of the deal. The diminutive center has an enticing skill set and was nearly a point-a-game player from 2007-11 (255 points in 275 games), though he did fall on hard times last year, scoring just 44 points in 80 games.
He’ll fit nicely into the Stars lineup, replacing the recently-traded Mike Ribeiro as one of Dallas’ top two centers. He’ll also help out an anemic power play that finished dead last (13.5 percent) in the NHL — despite his poor campaign last year, Roy still finished third among all Sabres in power play goals.
As for Ott, he fits in nicely with what the Sabres are trying to do this offseason: Add more snarl.
The Sabres signed 6-foot-8 leviathan John Scott yesterday — he promptly promised “a different outcome” should anybody bowl over Ryan Miller next season — and while Ott lacks Scott’s towering presence, he’s a nasty piece of business in his own right. “The Rat” is one of the league’s most annoying and relentless pests, one that’s not afraid to drop the mitts (he’s fought 27 times over the last three seasons.)
Pardy, 28, is a physical, stay-at-home defenseman that’s been sidelined by shoulder and rib injuries over the last two seasons. At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, he could work his way into Buffalo’s bottom pair solely on his ability to lay the body.
Of note, the deal puts Ott on the same team as Patrick Kaleta, regarded as an equal (if not superior) crap disturber. The Sabres will be a tougher team to play against next season.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)