Jul 2, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres and Dallas Stars made a big splash on Monday, spicing up an otherwise uneventful second day of free agency.
Roy, 29, is the centerpiece of the deal. The diminutive center has an enticing skill set and was nearly a point-a-game player from 2007-11 (255 points in 275 games), though he did fall on hard times last year, scoring just 44 points in 80 games.
He’ll fit nicely into the Stars lineup, replacing the recently-traded Mike Ribeiro as one of Dallas’ top two centers. He’ll also help out an anemic power play that finished dead last (13.5 percent) in the NHL — despite his poor campaign last year, Roy still finished third among all Sabres in power play goals.
As for Ott, he fits in nicely with what the Sabres are trying to do this offseason: Add more snarl.
The Sabres signed 6-foot-8 leviathan John Scott yesterday — he promptly promised “a different outcome” should anybody bowl over Ryan Miller next season — and while Ott lacks Scott’s towering presence, he’s a nasty piece of business in his own right. “The Rat” is one of the league’s most annoying and relentless pests, one that’s not afraid to drop the mitts (he’s fought 27 times over the last three seasons.)
Pardy, 28, is a physical, stay-at-home defenseman that’s been sidelined by shoulder and rib injuries over the last two seasons. At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, he could work his way into Buffalo’s bottom pair solely on his ability to lay the body.
Of note, the deal puts Ott on the same team as Patrick Kaleta, regarded as an equal (if not superior) crap disturber. The Sabres will be a tougher team to play against next season.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22