Scott promises “different outcome” if Miller run over

Jul 2, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT

John Scott Getty Images

John Scott has a message for the NHL – touch Ryan Miller and there’s gonna be trouble.

“Hopefully, with me next year, that doesn’t happen,” said the newest, biggest and toughest member of the Buffalo Sabres. “If it does happen, there’s a different outcome.”

Miller will be glad to hear it. When Milan Lucic ran him over in November, the only response from the Sabres came after the game when they admitted they should’ve done something about it.

Buffalo GM Darcy Regier on the addition of Scott: “John’s size and toughness make him a difficult player to battle against. His physical play will be a valuable addition to our team.”

In a related story, the Vancouver Canucks are still cool with everyone taking shots at the Sedins.

1. buddysguys - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

lets just hope your not in the press box watching it happen….

• WeWantTheCup - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Montreal got tougher, Buffalo got tougher, that division just got tougher for the bruins to bully around teams, meanwhile the maple laughs will still get pounded and pushed around.

Only one way for Buffalo to get back at Lucic for that cowardly hit on Miller, have Mr. Scott put Rask through the net and into the glass.

Love hearing the comments that if a goalie comes out to play the puck he is fair game, that has never been the case and never will be. Hitting a goalie at any level of hockey has always been always will be a cheap coward move.

I like Scott’s comments but he is not a “dress every night” player, but you can bet he will be dressed every game against Boston, going to be some very interesting games.

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

So you don’t like the fact that Miller was hit but your solution is to run Rask? Not sure how that makes sense

• WeWantTheCup - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Sorry I’ll clarify.
        I didn’t like Miller getting hit, don’t ever like seeing a goalie get hit as they are not fair game no matter what people think. If a goalie is in his crease or playing the puck, they are not fair game and never have been fair game so when they get hit they are not expecting it. We have seen how bad players can get hurt when they are hit and not expecting it (Rome on Horton, Torres on Hossa, Stevens on everyone, Hunter on Turgeon the list goes on) that’s why hitting a goalie is a cowardly move. My comment on running rask wasn’t meant to be a soloution but everyone talks about Buffalo not doing anything when Miller got hit, as anyone who has played hockey knows there is only one way to get back at a team for a cowardly act of running your goalie, you run their goalie. I don’t like seeing goalies get hit, but if it happens there is only one form of redemption.

2. mydadyourmom - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM

He has quickly won me over with that comment.

3. sjsharks66 - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

The different outcome being Lucic beats you up instead of Gaustad?
    If miller comes out 50 feet expect him to get hit.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Yeah, not sure why they don’t change that rule. Goalie’s gonna play the puck outside his crease and in front of the icing line? Goalie’s gonna get hit. You’re wearing enough pads for crying out loud. Pull a Hasek-on-Gabby if you have to.

• gekkoguy82 - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Goalie equipment is designed to protect the wearer from pucks, not people.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Still more protected than the skaters around them.

• lightingthelampsince88 - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Easy now, Lucic is big but this guy has 6 inches and 50 lbs on him. Chara on the other hand could start a heavy-weight bout but something tells me he wouldn’t want to chuck knuckles.

• odj810 - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

lucic is tough but scott is a monster. I predict given the amount of time they will see eachother. Chara and scott will finally square off this year. I think scott will do something to enrage chara bringing out the beast in him we haven’t seen since he fought gill. And its probably going to be when he tries to jump lucic.

• drewsylvania - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Zero reason for Lucic to fight Scott except in a blowout.

• adambballn - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I was 6 rows off the glass in LA in 2010 when Scott BUSTED Kevin Westgarth’s face… blood all over the glass… Scott is a scary, scary dude.

• homelanddefense - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Lucic and Chara wont fight this guy, doesnt make sense to trade out a top level player for 5 minutes so Scott can earn his paycheck. Thornton will have to take him.

4. dhawks19 - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

When he was on the hawks I loved watching him fight he would win every time

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Don’t forget about the 09-10 season when he played on the Wild with the Boogeyman…now that’s a terrifying thought. You kept your nose squeaky clean when both those guys got dressed.

5. benberger - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Ryan Miller’s head is suddenly feeling much better.

6. blackhawks711 - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Always been a fan of Jon Scott. Not much of a defender but when he is on the ice you know someone has your back.

7. balewsquare - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Oh Scott is awesome. Funny dude too. I just wish opponents didn’t know they’d get crushed when they fight him…then people would actually drop the gloves with him. Great shot at VAN too btw.

8. rpiotr01 - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

If only Scott could do anything besides be huge. He could be the greatest to ever play the game…

• drewsylvania - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

That’s like saying, “If I could sprout wings, I might be able to fly.”

9. lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Parise and Suter sure are taking their sweet times today…

10. bigtganks - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Kevin Bieksa, when he was asked what he expected with the Hawks inserting 6-foot-8, 260-pound Scott into the lineup. Scott, who gets into the lineup roughly half the games, is known primarily as a fighter.

Said Bieksa: “If a 6-foot-8 guy who can’t skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal.”

Classic

• comeonnowguys - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

“And then you hit someone else who doesn’t fight when their back is turned.”

11. sjsharks66 - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I’m not trying to be a dick but lucic is 6’4. So Scott has about 4 inches. 50 lbs seems about rite though :P that would be a great fight to see non the less.

• lightingthelampsince88 - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

My bad, next time I’ll have to bring out my calculator to do that math haha I agree though, I would love to see the fight, hoping of course Lucic eats a fist or two :)

• imleftcoast - Jul 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

or 10.

12. thedavesiknowiknow - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

In other news: Derek Roy was traded to Dallas for Steve Ott/Adam Pardy.

• drewsylvania - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Just saw that. Really hope it isn’t a slew-foot festival when Buffalo comes to Boston (and yes, I mean Marchand in that too).

• rycoem - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Sabres are getting bigger and tougher by the day…still need an experienced point-a-game goal scorer though

• thedavesiknowiknow - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Bobby Ryan’s “9” is available.

13. drewsylvania - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Suspect Scott will only dress when Lucic comes to town. He might win the fight but he’ll lose the game thanks to being a sieve otherwise.

14. Doesnotmatter - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Yay, Buffalo just signed a wrestler. The Lucic-Scott fight is never gonna happen. And if Chara-Scott thing happens I’m betting on the Slovak. And this from a neutral observer.

• chrisr9040 - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I’d be fine with Scott taking an instigator or even a suspension to make Scott-Lucic happen.

• Doesnotmatter - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

That would be awesome. I don’t like Lucic. I hated his hit on Miller and the fact that he got away with it. I don’t know why Shanahan didn’t suspend him. The question is how many shots would Scott get in before Lucic turtles. I’m 99 percent sure he would. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches