Jul 2, 2012, 11:32 PM EDT
“I was able to talk to (Leafs GM) Brian Burke and also Dave Nonis,” Brodeur said. “We had great conversations. Love the direction where they’re going.
“For me it could’ve been a fit but ultimately when Lou (Lamiorello) came back with that extra year, that made a big difference. They seemed like they were really interested. But I know that the organization is making the right steps for them.”
Of course, it’s not a surprise that Leafs pursued Brodeur. They certainly weren’t the only team that would have been a good fit for Brodeur’s services, but they could have used him to serve as James Reimer‘s mentor and take some pressure off the young goaltender.
As we mentioned earlier, the Leafs goaltending is a question mark as it currently stands. The potential tandem of James Reimer and Ben Scrivens might not be ready to carry the Leafs, but at this point, they’re starting to run out of alternatives.
Al Montoya, Brent Johnson, and Ty Conklin are still free agents and while they might be solid backups, they’re also significant risks in their own right. At one point it looked like the Leafs might resort to trading for Roberto Luongo, but he reportedly doesn’t want to play for Toronto.
With that in mind, there’s a good chance that Reimer will be the Leafs’ opening game starter.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 33
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 6
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)