Jun 28, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
In the span of a week, Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero waved goodbye to Jordan Staal and essentially made Sidney Crosby a “Penguin forever” (to use Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson’s words). Shero recently completed a conference call to discuss Crosby’s pending lifetime contract, and to little surprise, he had some very positive things to say to media members such as Josh Yohe.
“We believe Sidney’s best days are ahead of him,” Shero said.
Shero didn’t discuss any specifics about the contract’s insurance policies, however, which is certainly relevant considering Crosby’s concussion history. Seth Rorabaugh has a full transcript of what Shero and Brisson said, including these optimistic details about Sid’s health.
“He’s been training in Los Angeles,” Brisson said. “He’s feeling great. He’s been training hard and feeling really well compared to last summer. It’s been night and day. It’s been very encouraging.”
One remarkable thing about Crosby’s new deal is that it will carry an identical cap hit ($8.7 million) as his current deal. While that’s still a ton of cash – even with a $70.2 million ceiling – both Shero and Brisson praised Crosby for being conscious of the team’s ability to build around him when considering is contract.
“As I’ve said, he’s never been reluctant to help the team,” Shero said. “I appreciate that and ownership appreciates that. It’s very beneficial and it says a lot about Crosby.”
Shero didn’t really elaborate on how much having Crosby signed long-term and Evgeni Malkin locked up for at least two more years could help the team chase free agents. All he said was “we’re in a different spot than we were a week ago,” but there should be little doubt that potential additions such as Zach Parise will enjoy the thought of playing with one of the two superstars.
Mario Lemieux said it’s “a great day for hockey,” yet it’s an especially great one for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)