Jun 28, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Ray Shero might follow up his draft day heist by stealing the free agency spotlight as well.
The Pens GM will reportedly announce a new deal for Sidney Crosby on July 1 with what’s believed to be a gigantic contract — worth over $100 million.
UPDATE: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun tweets the specifics — 12 years, $104.4 million (as per Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson.) That works out to an average annual value of $8.7 million, the same cap hit Crosby has right now.
Because 8.7 is like 87, which is Crosby’s number, see.
There are currently only two $100 million men in the NHL — Ilya Kovalchuk, who signed a 15-year, $100 million dealback in 2010 and Alex Ovechkin, who inked his groundbreaking 13-year, $124 million deal in 2008.
Crosby would be 36 when the deal expires and, should he spend all of it in Pittsburgh, will (theoretically) be in line to attack many of Mario Lemieux’s franchise marks.
So, what does the deal mean for Pittsburgh’s cap situation?
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 19
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 17
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)