Jun 28, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Ray Shero might follow up his draft day heist by stealing the free agency spotlight as well.
The Pens GM will reportedly announce a new deal for Sidney Crosby on July 1 with what’s believed to be a gigantic contract — worth over $100 million.
UPDATE: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun tweets the specifics — 12 years, $104.4 million (as per Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson.) That works out to an average annual value of $8.7 million, the same cap hit Crosby has right now.
Because 8.7 is like 87, which is Crosby’s number, see.
There are currently only two $100 million men in the NHL — Ilya Kovalchuk, who signed a 15-year, $100 million dealback in 2010 and Alex Ovechkin, who inked his groundbreaking 13-year, $124 million deal in 2008.
Crosby would be 36 when the deal expires and, should he spend all of it in Pittsburgh, will (theoretically) be in line to attack many of Mario Lemieux’s franchise marks.
So, what does the deal mean for Pittsburgh’s cap situation?
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)