Report: Matt Carle will test “UFA waters”

Jun 28, 2012, 7:29 PM EST

Matt Read, Matt Carle AP

Thursday’s been an awfully busy day when it comes to transactions – unofficial as they may be – but there are plenty of extra rumors for those who want to gorge themselves before the free agent weekend. Pierre LeBrun provided one of the more interesting ones: Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Matt Carle will reportedly “dip his toes in UFA waters.”

Here’s his precise Tweet:

I still think Flyers have a good shot at re-signing Carle, but it may only come after he dips his toes into UFA waters.

LeBrun might be right, but Carle and his representatives are being smart. The pool for unrestricted free agent defensemen is woefully shallow, so even if he just wants to stick with Philly, he’ll likely be able to drive his value up considerably simply by playing teams against each other. Naturally, there’s also the outside chance that someone else will woo him, too.

It brings up an interesting question: how much is Carle worth? There was a pretty lively discussion of that topic in this UFA Spotlight post on Carle, so feel free to share your own thoughts there or in the comments below.

1. t16rich - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I think the Isle’s are a team who should make a play. Obviously depends if Carle will go there, but I think it’s a good fit for both sides hockey wise.

2. itsallniceonice - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Couldn’t care less about the Matt Carle business but I have to tip the cap to a Duck Tales reference.

3. vokounviolatesvirginvag - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

bum charles

4. mclovinhockey - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM

What duck tales reference?

5. tru2joelu4eva - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

avs should go after him so he can play with ej

6. phillyphever - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Adios Carle. To the GM who’s about to overpay for this stiff: better prepare your resume for your next job.

• obamablowz - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Missed 4 games in 4 years…..is a plus 55 while in Philadelphia. In your last post you stated he was on the ice for 70% of goals against Philadelphia. Again, I ask where did you get your stats from because they dont add up.

• obamablowz - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

sorry buddy….that was Phillyfan81 not you with the stats

7. ml3939 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Shoots soft, shoots wide, poor passer, too many turnovers, doesn’t play the body well, struggles without Pronger, also benefits from being around high caliber talent on the power play, not very fast, good puckhandler, good riddance. I am sure his 3 PHT defenders will come to his defense and imply how much smarter they are than the rest of us. They always make us look bad with their wordy yet empty diatribes. He seems like a very good guy off the ice. I would just rather have him rooting for my team as opposed to playing for them.

8. doopdoop10 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Let him go! Flyers need D but they don’t need this guy, he has created too many turnovers that turned into goals to count. If he wants anymore than what we’ve been paying him then it’s absolutely not worth it

9. phillyphan83 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

good riddance

10. philly4lyfe - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I’ve already taken the liberty of packing his bags for him.

11. comradeast - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Does it really matter? Philly will sign him to monster contract and trade him next year anyway

12. 81rebel - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Please leave Philly and sign somewhere else Carle… you suck!

13. phillyphan83 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM

its phillyphan83, not 81, and my post was about the PLAYOFFS, not his career. Learn how to read buddy. and plus/minus does not account for all goals scored genius, you don’t get a plus or minus for power play goals. read the rules. class dismissed.

• obamablowz - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM

so again…please show the 70% because once again…I CANT FIND IT!!!

14. phillyphan83 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Even if you want to talk plus/minus, how convenient of you to only state his good number…his career may be +55 but his most recent season was terrible, only a +4 in 82 reg. season games and a -1 in the playoffs…stellar numbers, let me tell ya. Once again, class dismissed.

• obamablowz - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:51 PM

You say “learn how to read” then say “his career may be plus 55″….I didn’t say his career…I said “is a plus 55 while in Philadelphia” not his career stats… so do me a favor….LEARN HOW TO READ BUDDY.

15. phillyphan83 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM

and that’s his career playoff +/- you wanna know his recent numbers??? probably not because now you’re REALLY gonna look dumb…he’s a -11 the last 2 seasons in the playoffs, a -3 this year and a -8 last year. so I say again, good riddance. oh yeah…class dismissed. man you’re get in schooled today.

16. phillyphan83 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM

He’s played his entire career in Philadelphia you idiot!!!

• obamablowz - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM

hahahahahahahahahah…..his entire career in philadelphia!!!!! you mean he didn’t get traded from tampa bay or play 3 years in san jose…who’s the idiot now?

17. phillyphan83 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM

my bad, wrong players stat, however, BOTH his career +/- AND his +/- in Philly are +55. But once again, I wasn’t talking about reg. season, I was talking playoffs and he’s been garbage in the playoffs and he was garbage all year this year. A guy with as much experience as him shouldn’t be getting worse, and he is. Once again, I say good riddance. He’s garbage.

• obamablowz - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM

dude, you summed up your entire hockey knowledge with your last comment……nice try to attempt to cover it up….you’re pathetic!!

18. phillyphan83 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM

why are you defending him? he’s garbage and there’s no way around it. Theresno one Philly fan on here that’s defending him. We watched him, we knw how terrible he is. He’s a turnover machine and he’s a soft defender. You brought up his plus minus and I showed you his most important plus minus numbers are bad. YOUR comment shows you have no idea what type of player he is, all yu did is look at a state line, which doesn’t come close to telling the whole story. Like I said, how convienent of you to ignore his negative numbers and only fixate on his positive numbers from 4 years ago! You are a joke.

• obamablowz - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Who’s defending him? I think hes a decent 3 or 4 D-man. He was put in a position because of injuries to play 27 minutes a game when he is more of a 20 minute a game guy. I may be the joke, but I don’t go around making stats like “70% of goals he was on the ice for” and I know he didn’t spend his entire career in Philadelphia. Stick to the video game posting little one.

19. phillyphan83 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM

entire hockey knowledge??? I had multiple tabs open with player’s stats, I looked at the wrong one, it happens. You o. the other hand have no excuse for defending a garbage player whose getting WORSE at the prime age of his career!!!

20. eyeh8goodell - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Typical Philly fan…..diminish a player on the way out to make themselves feel better. Carter and Richards are pointing and laughing at you guys. Ryan Suter already said he wants nothing to do with Philly so he’s no option. Pronger is done. Newly acquired Schenn? LOL!

But hey look on the bright side, 41 year old Jagr might come back. Haha

The guys over at Broadstreet Hockey seem to disagree with you……since you’re speaking for Philly fans.

• obamablowz - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM

this guy listens to talk radio too much and makes us Philadelphia fans look REALLY DUMB. Anyone who has to bash a guy then admits he is looking at several player career stats to defend his bashing of the player shows he/she doesn’t know what they’re talking about. How do you not know the player you’re bashing was traded from TB?

21. phillyphan83 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM

OK your video game comment makes no sense and has no relevance to this discussion. nice try though. if you want to know his numbers then do the research yourself, check every game and look who was on the ice. I’m not doing it for you, I’ve already done that, it took me quite a while but you’re more than welcome to do it yourself. I’m not too optimistic though, as your inability to correctly analyze his +/- doesn’t make this endeavor look too promising for you. oh and while youre at it, why dont you check on his turnover numbers during the playoffs the last 2 years, because when you’re talking stats, only recent history matters and this guy is getting worse. After round 1 this year, he had more than double the number of turnovers of the next highest defenseman. Great player though according to you. I guess he’s earned a new contract just because his career +/-, or his Philly +/- (theyre both+55) is a tell-all of how good he is. Rrrrriiiiggghhhttt

22. obamablowz - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM

You will forever be linked to “He’s played his entire career in Philadelphia you idiot!!!” You may no longer debate me in hockey knowledge……as you say….class dismissed!

23. jimw81 - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM

i’lll be shocked if left philly. btw did anyone take time to look at this tweet?

24. mclovinhockey - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Philly still needs a 6th D, Carle has great numbers besides the turnovers but we just got Schenn… I don’t think we can afford to have 2 guys turning the puck over every game. Carle is worth 3.5 a year, one of the better D’s on the market and people are crying about 1 bad year…. I know people compare him to suter, mainly due to numbers and the fact both of them are a lot worse when their big tough partner goes down (weber and pronger) but the cap hit is not worth paying double for suter if you don’t have a big guy to help him out

• danphipps01 - Jun 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Uh, actually, Nashville wins more games with Weber out and Suter in than vice-versa. The team’s quite heavily reliant on Suter’s puck-moving ability to generate momentum. Of course, that’s not to say they’re not at their best together – that much is obvious – but going by the win-loss record when one or the other is out, Weber’s actually easier to go without than Suter. Weird, but true.

25. mclovinhockey - Jun 29, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I was not saying that the team is better with or without the player, Philly did great this year with pronger, just saying suter and Carles (as well as weber) numbers drop off when they are not playing with their usually partner.
    I gotta admit, that other flyers fan earlier seemed like an idiot, Obamablows I have seem sound just as dumb on this page before (example, suter never said he doesn’t want to play in Philly, he said he would waive his no trade clause for a few teams which were all in the west, then reporters said he doesn’t want Philly cause they are in the east. Suter and his agent then came out and said they did not count out Philly but would love to stay in the wes…. As you can see thats nothing like saying he doesnt want to play for that teamt), not sure who he is a fan of… But Carle is a great depth D… I want him to stay in Philly since he is the best option of players left who would play in Philly.

26. andidee15 - Jun 29, 2012 at 6:46 AM

I’d be shocked if Colorado didn’t at least make an offer to him.

We need a puck-moving top defenseman to pair with Johnson and a decent sized salary to bring us to the salary cap floor. Add in the fact that Carle has Denver ties – he, his wife, and his little brother all went to DU and his agent is still Denver based – so it’s not too hard to imagine he might consider coming back.

I doubt Sherman will go overboard with the potential salary since the Avs are very cost-conscious, but unless he is significantly outbid, there is at least a chance that Carle might be in burgundy and blue next year. We’ll see what happens on July 1.

27. flyeredup202 - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Carle is a great defenseman when hes not THE MAN….. without a stud Like A Pronger, or a Weber…. hes just another Dman that buckled under pressure. Carle coughed up the puck this year more then the 3 rookie d-men in the lineup…. Combined…… its easy to be +55 when the flyers have the offence that they have…. put him on a team that struggles to score and his a HUGE liability.

28. melonheadsdaddy - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Oh my god…..THEY’RE PRO HOCKEY TALK FIGHTING!

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches