Jun 28, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
Thursday’s been an awfully busy day when it comes to transactions – unofficial as they may be – but there are plenty of extra rumors for those who want to gorge themselves before the free agent weekend. Pierre LeBrun provided one of the more interesting ones: Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Matt Carle will reportedly “dip his toes in UFA waters.”
Here’s his precise Tweet:
I still think Flyers have a good shot at re-signing Carle, but it may only come after he dips his toes into UFA waters.
LeBrun might be right, but Carle and his representatives are being smart. The pool for unrestricted free agent defensemen is woefully shallow, so even if he just wants to stick with Philly, he’ll likely be able to drive his value up considerably simply by playing teams against each other. Naturally, there’s also the outside chance that someone else will woo him, too.
It brings up an interesting question: how much is Carle worth? There was a pretty lively discussion of that topic in this UFA Spotlight post on Carle, so feel free to share your own thoughts there or in the comments below.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)