Jun 28, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
Thursday’s been an awfully busy day when it comes to transactions – unofficial as they may be – but there are plenty of extra rumors for those who want to gorge themselves before the free agent weekend. Pierre LeBrun provided one of the more interesting ones: Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Matt Carle will reportedly “dip his toes in UFA waters.”
Here’s his precise Tweet:
I still think Flyers have a good shot at re-signing Carle, but it may only come after he dips his toes into UFA waters.
LeBrun might be right, but Carle and his representatives are being smart. The pool for unrestricted free agent defensemen is woefully shallow, so even if he just wants to stick with Philly, he’ll likely be able to drive his value up considerably simply by playing teams against each other. Naturally, there’s also the outside chance that someone else will woo him, too.
It brings up an interesting question: how much is Carle worth? There was a pretty lively discussion of that topic in this UFA Spotlight post on Carle, so feel free to share your own thoughts there or in the comments below.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)