Jun 28, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA announced today that the salary cap floor for the 2012-13 season has been set at $54.2 million.
That figure could fall if the players’ share of revenues is reduced under the terms of the new CBA, all else staying equal. (It could also go up, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.)
Regardless of where it ends up exactly, there are teams that will need to spend/take on money this summer to get above the floor.
Take Phoenix – according to CapGeek, the Coyotes have just $38.9 million in committed cap payroll for next season, and that’s with 18 players (the max is 23) under contract.
The Coyotes did add Zbynek Michalek’s $4 million cap hit in a trade with the Penguins, but they’ll have to add more to get above the floor.
Other clubs flirting with the lower limit:
Anaheim ($39.3 million, 14 under contract) – And that’s with Bobby “Move me” Ryan’s $5 million hit.
Nashville ($34.9 million, 14) – Assuming he’s not traded and signs another one-year deal, Shea Weber should get the Predators to around $43 million. Sergei Kostitsyn and Colin Wilson are RFAs that need raises.
Dallas ($39.6 million, 16) – Jamie Benn is RFA and should get a big raise.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)