Jun 27, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
Upon hearing that Shane Doan is primed to hit the unrestricted free agent market, one could argue that almost every team in the NHL perked up a bit. I must admit, the forward-rich Chicago Blackhawks weren’t the first team to come to mind, but Adam Jahns and Chris Kuc report that Jonathan Toews has begun “lobbying” Doan during the NHLPA meetings.
“With a grin, Jonathan Toews said he was lobbying Shane Doan to join the #Blackhawks since he will test market.”
(That’s not “tampering” is it? Moving on …)
While Chicago might not “need” Doan as much as teams that are thinner at the forward position, he’d add some welcome girth to a group that’s pretty high on finesse. If a solid, gritty winger such as Troy Brouwer could flourish with the likes of Toews and Patrick Kane, imagine what Doan could accomplish with the Blackhawks?
It’s a fascinating thought, even if the Blackhawks probably have more pressing problems.
Which teams should go after Doan the hardest and who might actually land the Coyotes captain if he jets? Could the Blackhawks simply overwhelm other teams despite their flaws if they added Doan to their already formidable forward mix? Share your thoughts in the comments.
(H/T to Sportsnet.ca.)
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20