Jun 27, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
Upon hearing that Shane Doan is primed to hit the unrestricted free agent market, one could argue that almost every team in the NHL perked up a bit. I must admit, the forward-rich Chicago Blackhawks weren’t the first team to come to mind, but Adam Jahns and Chris Kuc report that Jonathan Toews has begun “lobbying” Doan during the NHLPA meetings.
“With a grin, Jonathan Toews said he was lobbying Shane Doan to join the #Blackhawks since he will test market.”
(That’s not “tampering” is it? Moving on …)
While Chicago might not “need” Doan as much as teams that are thinner at the forward position, he’d add some welcome girth to a group that’s pretty high on finesse. If a solid, gritty winger such as Troy Brouwer could flourish with the likes of Toews and Patrick Kane, imagine what Doan could accomplish with the Blackhawks?
It’s a fascinating thought, even if the Blackhawks probably have more pressing problems.
Which teams should go after Doan the hardest and who might actually land the Coyotes captain if he jets? Could the Blackhawks simply overwhelm other teams despite their flaws if they added Doan to their already formidable forward mix? Share your thoughts in the comments.
(H/T to Sportsnet.ca.)
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18