Jun 27, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
Upon hearing that Shane Doan is primed to hit the unrestricted free agent market, one could argue that almost every team in the NHL perked up a bit. I must admit, the forward-rich Chicago Blackhawks weren’t the first team to come to mind, but Adam Jahns and Chris Kuc report that Jonathan Toews has begun “lobbying” Doan during the NHLPA meetings.
“With a grin, Jonathan Toews said he was lobbying Shane Doan to join the #Blackhawks since he will test market.”
(That’s not “tampering” is it? Moving on …)
While Chicago might not “need” Doan as much as teams that are thinner at the forward position, he’d add some welcome girth to a group that’s pretty high on finesse. If a solid, gritty winger such as Troy Brouwer could flourish with the likes of Toews and Patrick Kane, imagine what Doan could accomplish with the Blackhawks?
It’s a fascinating thought, even if the Blackhawks probably have more pressing problems.
Which teams should go after Doan the hardest and who might actually land the Coyotes captain if he jets? Could the Blackhawks simply overwhelm other teams despite their flaws if they added Doan to their already formidable forward mix? Share your thoughts in the comments.
(H/T to Sportsnet.ca.)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)