Jun 27, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
Upon hearing that Shane Doan is primed to hit the unrestricted free agent market, one could argue that almost every team in the NHL perked up a bit. I must admit, the forward-rich Chicago Blackhawks weren’t the first team to come to mind, but Adam Jahns and Chris Kuc report that Jonathan Toews has begun “lobbying” Doan during the NHLPA meetings.
“With a grin, Jonathan Toews said he was lobbying Shane Doan to join the #Blackhawks since he will test market.”
(That’s not “tampering” is it? Moving on …)
While Chicago might not “need” Doan as much as teams that are thinner at the forward position, he’d add some welcome girth to a group that’s pretty high on finesse. If a solid, gritty winger such as Troy Brouwer could flourish with the likes of Toews and Patrick Kane, imagine what Doan could accomplish with the Blackhawks?
It’s a fascinating thought, even if the Blackhawks probably have more pressing problems.
Which teams should go after Doan the hardest and who might actually land the Coyotes captain if he jets? Could the Blackhawks simply overwhelm other teams despite their flaws if they added Doan to their already formidable forward mix? Share your thoughts in the comments.
(H/T to Sportsnet.ca.)
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)