Jun 27, 2012, 11:35 PM EST
Upon hearing that Shane Doan is primed to hit the unrestricted free agent market, one could argue that almost every team in the NHL perked up a bit. I must admit, the forward-rich Chicago Blackhawks weren’t the first team to come to mind, but Adam Jahns and Chris Kuc report that Jonathan Toews has begun “lobbying” Doan during the NHLPA meetings.
“With a grin, Jonathan Toews said he was lobbying Shane Doan to join the #Blackhawks since he will test market.”
(That’s not “tampering” is it? Moving on …)
While Chicago might not “need” Doan as much as teams that are thinner at the forward position, he’d add some welcome girth to a group that’s pretty high on finesse. If a solid, gritty winger such as Troy Brouwer could flourish with the likes of Toews and Patrick Kane, imagine what Doan could accomplish with the Blackhawks?
It’s a fascinating thought, even if the Blackhawks probably have more pressing problems.
Which teams should go after Doan the hardest and who might actually land the Coyotes captain if he jets? Could the Blackhawks simply overwhelm other teams despite their flaws if they added Doan to their already formidable forward mix? Share your thoughts in the comments.
(H/T to Sportsnet.ca.)
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4