Jun 26, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
I’ll admit it; when I saw Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan listed as a top unrestricted free agent, I rolled my eyes. After all, the guy’s been with the franchise since they were the Winnipeg Jets, right? Well, perhaps that best-ever playoff run – or all the financial worries – were enough for Doan because Adrian Dater reports that Doan will test the free agent market this summer.
Dater’s news comes straight from Coyotes general manager Don Maloney, so while it’s not a guarantee that Doan’s gone, it means he certainly could be.
This development adds intrigue to a summer of change for Phoenix on the ice. The team decided to bring Zbynek Michalek back into the fold, yet some other key figures could be gone. Keith Yandle has reportedly been on and off the trading block while Doan joins Ray Whitney as aging (but crucial) veterans who will look for new contracts.
It brings up some interesting questions. Do you think Doan will really sign with another team? If so, which teams could use the gritty veteran forward the most? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)