Jun 26, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
I’ll admit it; when I saw Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan listed as a top unrestricted free agent, I rolled my eyes. After all, the guy’s been with the franchise since they were the Winnipeg Jets, right? Well, perhaps that best-ever playoff run – or all the financial worries – were enough for Doan because Adrian Dater reports that Doan will test the free agent market this summer.
Dater’s news comes straight from Coyotes general manager Don Maloney, so while it’s not a guarantee that Doan’s gone, it means he certainly could be.
This development adds intrigue to a summer of change for Phoenix on the ice. The team decided to bring Zbynek Michalek back into the fold, yet some other key figures could be gone. Keith Yandle has reportedly been on and off the trading block while Doan joins Ray Whitney as aging (but crucial) veterans who will look for new contracts.
It brings up some interesting questions. Do you think Doan will really sign with another team? If so, which teams could use the gritty veteran forward the most? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5