Jun 26, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
I’ll admit it; when I saw Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan listed as a top unrestricted free agent, I rolled my eyes. After all, the guy’s been with the franchise since they were the Winnipeg Jets, right? Well, perhaps that best-ever playoff run – or all the financial worries – were enough for Doan because Adrian Dater reports that Doan will test the free agent market this summer.
Dater’s news comes straight from Coyotes general manager Don Maloney, so while it’s not a guarantee that Doan’s gone, it means he certainly could be.
This development adds intrigue to a summer of change for Phoenix on the ice. The team decided to bring Zbynek Michalek back into the fold, yet some other key figures could be gone. Keith Yandle has reportedly been on and off the trading block while Doan joins Ray Whitney as aging (but crucial) veterans who will look for new contracts.
It brings up some interesting questions. Do you think Doan will really sign with another team? If so, which teams could use the gritty veteran forward the most? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 0
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 18
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 7
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 55
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)