Jun 26, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
I’ll admit it; when I saw Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan listed as a top unrestricted free agent, I rolled my eyes. After all, the guy’s been with the franchise since they were the Winnipeg Jets, right? Well, perhaps that best-ever playoff run – or all the financial worries – were enough for Doan because Adrian Dater reports that Doan will test the free agent market this summer.
Dater’s news comes straight from Coyotes general manager Don Maloney, so while it’s not a guarantee that Doan’s gone, it means he certainly could be.
This development adds intrigue to a summer of change for Phoenix on the ice. The team decided to bring Zbynek Michalek back into the fold, yet some other key figures could be gone. Keith Yandle has reportedly been on and off the trading block while Doan joins Ray Whitney as aging (but crucial) veterans who will look for new contracts.
It brings up some interesting questions. Do you think Doan will really sign with another team? If so, which teams could use the gritty veteran forward the most? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 20
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 17
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)