Jun 26, 2012, 7:10 PM EST
I’ll admit it; when I saw Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan listed as a top unrestricted free agent, I rolled my eyes. After all, the guy’s been with the franchise since they were the Winnipeg Jets, right? Well, perhaps that best-ever playoff run – or all the financial worries – were enough for Doan because Adrian Dater reports that Doan will test the free agent market this summer.
Dater’s news comes straight from Coyotes general manager Don Maloney, so while it’s not a guarantee that Doan’s gone, it means he certainly could be.
This development adds intrigue to a summer of change for Phoenix on the ice. The team decided to bring Zbynek Michalek back into the fold, yet some other key figures could be gone. Keith Yandle has reportedly been on and off the trading block while Doan joins Ray Whitney as aging (but crucial) veterans who will look for new contracts.
It brings up some interesting questions. Do you think Doan will really sign with another team? If so, which teams could use the gritty veteran forward the most? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)