Jun 23, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Philadelphia Inquirer writer Sam Carchidi reported that Luke Schenn said it was “surreal” to find out he had been traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. However, he’s certainly happy to have a chance to play on the same team as his brother, Brayden Schenn.
“It’s hard to describe how cool it is,” Luke said.
Brayden couldn’t believe the news, but he’s just as pleased as Luke.
“He told me it was a dream come true,” Luke said. “It’s hard to comprehend right now.”
Of course, the Philadelphia Flyers didn’t acquire him just because they wanted to unite the Schenn brothers. They were looking to bolster their defense that’s been questionable since Chris Pronger suffered a concussion.
“I wouldn’t ever compare myself to Chris Pronger,” Luke said. “He’s obviously going to be in the Hall of Fame.”
That’s certainly a fair statement and we wouldn’t say that he’s capable of replacing Pronger. However, Luke is a great defensive defenseman and he’s locked in to an affordable five-year/$18 million contract that runs through the 2015-16 campaign.
The Flyers didn’t just get a young Chris Pronger, but their defense does look a lot better thanks to this trade.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 20
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 20
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 12
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 27
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)