Jun 23, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Philadelphia Inquirer writer Sam Carchidi reported that Luke Schenn said it was “surreal” to find out he had been traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. However, he’s certainly happy to have a chance to play on the same team as his brother, Brayden Schenn.
“It’s hard to describe how cool it is,” Luke said.
Brayden couldn’t believe the news, but he’s just as pleased as Luke.
“He told me it was a dream come true,” Luke said. “It’s hard to comprehend right now.”
Of course, the Philadelphia Flyers didn’t acquire him just because they wanted to unite the Schenn brothers. They were looking to bolster their defense that’s been questionable since Chris Pronger suffered a concussion.
“I wouldn’t ever compare myself to Chris Pronger,” Luke said. “He’s obviously going to be in the Hall of Fame.”
That’s certainly a fair statement and we wouldn’t say that he’s capable of replacing Pronger. However, Luke is a great defensive defenseman and he’s locked in to an affordable five-year/$18 million contract that runs through the 2015-16 campaign.
The Flyers didn’t just get a young Chris Pronger, but their defense does look a lot better thanks to this trade.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 0
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 40
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 73
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks