Jun 23, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Philadelphia Inquirer writer Sam Carchidi reported that Luke Schenn said it was “surreal” to find out he had been traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. However, he’s certainly happy to have a chance to play on the same team as his brother, Brayden Schenn.
“It’s hard to describe how cool it is,” Luke said.
Brayden couldn’t believe the news, but he’s just as pleased as Luke.
“He told me it was a dream come true,” Luke said. “It’s hard to comprehend right now.”
Of course, the Philadelphia Flyers didn’t acquire him just because they wanted to unite the Schenn brothers. They were looking to bolster their defense that’s been questionable since Chris Pronger suffered a concussion.
“I wouldn’t ever compare myself to Chris Pronger,” Luke said. “He’s obviously going to be in the Hall of Fame.”
That’s certainly a fair statement and we wouldn’t say that he’s capable of replacing Pronger. However, Luke is a great defensive defenseman and he’s locked in to an affordable five-year/$18 million contract that runs through the 2015-16 campaign.
The Flyers didn’t just get a young Chris Pronger, but their defense does look a lot better thanks to this trade.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)