Jun 23, 2012, 5:40 PM EST
Philadelphia Inquirer writer Sam Carchidi reported that Luke Schenn said it was “surreal” to find out he had been traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. However, he’s certainly happy to have a chance to play on the same team as his brother, Brayden Schenn.
“It’s hard to describe how cool it is,” Luke said.
Brayden couldn’t believe the news, but he’s just as pleased as Luke.
“He told me it was a dream come true,” Luke said. “It’s hard to comprehend right now.”
Of course, the Philadelphia Flyers didn’t acquire him just because they wanted to unite the Schenn brothers. They were looking to bolster their defense that’s been questionable since Chris Pronger suffered a concussion.
“I wouldn’t ever compare myself to Chris Pronger,” Luke said. “He’s obviously going to be in the Hall of Fame.”
That’s certainly a fair statement and we wouldn’t say that he’s capable of replacing Pronger. However, Luke is a great defensive defenseman and he’s locked in to an affordable five-year/$18 million contract that runs through the 2015-16 campaign.
The Flyers didn’t just get a young Chris Pronger, but their defense does look a lot better thanks to this trade.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)