Jun 17, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
The rumors about Roberto Luongo being dealt to Toronto aren’t likely to stop until either the Leafs add a goalie or Luongo is moved. Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun has a curious take on how things are going, however.
Simmons says with Tomas Vokoun in Pittsburgh, Anders Lindback in Tampa Bay, and the lone viable young goalie left out there being L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier, the time to strike for Luongo might be now and it might not cost the Leafs a lot to get him.
With Vokoun and Lindback scratched from the list of the available and the Kings’ Dean Lombardi saying “having only one quarterback is dangerous,” that leaves Roberto Luongo as their best goaltending option moving forward to this week’s NHL draft and trade meet. The good news with Luongo is it won’t cost much to get him. The bad news is it’s a long-term solution for the Leafs and if they still believe in James Reimer and, to a lesser extent, Ben Scrivens, then it isn’t an ideal situation for the development of a youngster.
The assumption that it wouldn’t take a lot to get Luongo out of Vancouver is a bit of a leap. Toronto isn’t the only team in the hunt for better goaltending.
Columbus still wants to improve in goal and could offer up a solid package to Vancouver if so inclined. As long as there is competition for Luongo, the price to get him isn’t going anywhere, especially down and especially not at a discount to Toronto. Luongo may want out of Vancouver, but that doesn’t mean the Canucks will give him up just to get him gone.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)