Jun 17, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
The rumors about Roberto Luongo being dealt to Toronto aren’t likely to stop until either the Leafs add a goalie or Luongo is moved. Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun has a curious take on how things are going, however.
Simmons says with Tomas Vokoun in Pittsburgh, Anders Lindback in Tampa Bay, and the lone viable young goalie left out there being L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier, the time to strike for Luongo might be now and it might not cost the Leafs a lot to get him.
With Vokoun and Lindback scratched from the list of the available and the Kings’ Dean Lombardi saying “having only one quarterback is dangerous,” that leaves Roberto Luongo as their best goaltending option moving forward to this week’s NHL draft and trade meet. The good news with Luongo is it won’t cost much to get him. The bad news is it’s a long-term solution for the Leafs and if they still believe in James Reimer and, to a lesser extent, Ben Scrivens, then it isn’t an ideal situation for the development of a youngster.
The assumption that it wouldn’t take a lot to get Luongo out of Vancouver is a bit of a leap. Toronto isn’t the only team in the hunt for better goaltending.
Columbus still wants to improve in goal and could offer up a solid package to Vancouver if so inclined. As long as there is competition for Luongo, the price to get him isn’t going anywhere, especially down and especially not at a discount to Toronto. Luongo may want out of Vancouver, but that doesn’t mean the Canucks will give him up just to get him gone.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28