Jun 17, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
The rumors about Roberto Luongo being dealt to Toronto aren’t likely to stop until either the Leafs add a goalie or Luongo is moved. Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun has a curious take on how things are going, however.
Simmons says with Tomas Vokoun in Pittsburgh, Anders Lindback in Tampa Bay, and the lone viable young goalie left out there being L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier, the time to strike for Luongo might be now and it might not cost the Leafs a lot to get him.
With Vokoun and Lindback scratched from the list of the available and the Kings’ Dean Lombardi saying “having only one quarterback is dangerous,” that leaves Roberto Luongo as their best goaltending option moving forward to this week’s NHL draft and trade meet. The good news with Luongo is it won’t cost much to get him. The bad news is it’s a long-term solution for the Leafs and if they still believe in James Reimer and, to a lesser extent, Ben Scrivens, then it isn’t an ideal situation for the development of a youngster.
The assumption that it wouldn’t take a lot to get Luongo out of Vancouver is a bit of a leap. Toronto isn’t the only team in the hunt for better goaltending.
Columbus still wants to improve in goal and could offer up a solid package to Vancouver if so inclined. As long as there is competition for Luongo, the price to get him isn’t going anywhere, especially down and especially not at a discount to Toronto. Luongo may want out of Vancouver, but that doesn’t mean the Canucks will give him up just to get him gone.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)