Jun 17, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
The rumors about Roberto Luongo being dealt to Toronto aren’t likely to stop until either the Leafs add a goalie or Luongo is moved. Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun has a curious take on how things are going, however.
Simmons says with Tomas Vokoun in Pittsburgh, Anders Lindback in Tampa Bay, and the lone viable young goalie left out there being L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier, the time to strike for Luongo might be now and it might not cost the Leafs a lot to get him.
With Vokoun and Lindback scratched from the list of the available and the Kings’ Dean Lombardi saying “having only one quarterback is dangerous,” that leaves Roberto Luongo as their best goaltending option moving forward to this week’s NHL draft and trade meet. The good news with Luongo is it won’t cost much to get him. The bad news is it’s a long-term solution for the Leafs and if they still believe in James Reimer and, to a lesser extent, Ben Scrivens, then it isn’t an ideal situation for the development of a youngster.
The assumption that it wouldn’t take a lot to get Luongo out of Vancouver is a bit of a leap. Toronto isn’t the only team in the hunt for better goaltending.
Columbus still wants to improve in goal and could offer up a solid package to Vancouver if so inclined. As long as there is competition for Luongo, the price to get him isn’t going anywhere, especially down and especially not at a discount to Toronto. Luongo may want out of Vancouver, but that doesn’t mean the Canucks will give him up just to get him gone.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)