Apr 29, 2012, 4:09 PM EST
If you’ve found yourself underwhelmed with how goalie Steve Mason played in Columbus the past few seasons, you’ll be happy to know you’re not alone.
Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch sitting tight on the team’s goaltending situation over the summer is one thing he is not about to do.
“We need a different look in goal,” Howson said. “We need better play from that position. I told Steve in our exit interviews (earlier this month) that we’re going to have a different look at that position next year, but that right now, nobody can predict what form that’s going to take.”
Welcome to the summer goaltending sweepstakes, Columbus!
Fortunately for Howson, there are names out there to pursue via trade. One of either Roberto Luongo or Cory Schneider, perhaps Kings backup youngster Jonathan Bernier, or maybe Boston’s Tim Thomas. Columbus will be in the hunt along with Tampa Bay and perhaps Chicago as well.
While you could argue about the grass being greener on the other side when looking to make a change in goal, the Blue Jackets can’t possibly get less consistent work than they’ve gotten from Mason. With Rick Nash as a potential player to dangle in a deal, the Jackets changes could be massive this summer.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 13
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 11
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 60
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (60)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)