Apr 29, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
If you’ve found yourself underwhelmed with how goalie Steve Mason played in Columbus the past few seasons, you’ll be happy to know you’re not alone.
Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch sitting tight on the team’s goaltending situation over the summer is one thing he is not about to do.
“We need a different look in goal,” Howson said. “We need better play from that position. I told Steve in our exit interviews (earlier this month) that we’re going to have a different look at that position next year, but that right now, nobody can predict what form that’s going to take.”
Welcome to the summer goaltending sweepstakes, Columbus!
Fortunately for Howson, there are names out there to pursue via trade. One of either Roberto Luongo or Cory Schneider, perhaps Kings backup youngster Jonathan Bernier, or maybe Boston’s Tim Thomas. Columbus will be in the hunt along with Tampa Bay and perhaps Chicago as well.
While you could argue about the grass being greener on the other side when looking to make a change in goal, the Blue Jackets can’t possibly get less consistent work than they’ve gotten from Mason. With Rick Nash as a potential player to dangle in a deal, the Jackets changes could be massive this summer.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)