Apr 29, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
If you’ve found yourself underwhelmed with how goalie Steve Mason played in Columbus the past few seasons, you’ll be happy to know you’re not alone.
Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch sitting tight on the team’s goaltending situation over the summer is one thing he is not about to do.
“We need a different look in goal,” Howson said. “We need better play from that position. I told Steve in our exit interviews (earlier this month) that we’re going to have a different look at that position next year, but that right now, nobody can predict what form that’s going to take.”
Welcome to the summer goaltending sweepstakes, Columbus!
Fortunately for Howson, there are names out there to pursue via trade. One of either Roberto Luongo or Cory Schneider, perhaps Kings backup youngster Jonathan Bernier, or maybe Boston’s Tim Thomas. Columbus will be in the hunt along with Tampa Bay and perhaps Chicago as well.
While you could argue about the grass being greener on the other side when looking to make a change in goal, the Blue Jackets can’t possibly get less consistent work than they’ve gotten from Mason. With Rick Nash as a potential player to dangle in a deal, the Jackets changes could be massive this summer.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 10
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 14
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 49
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (61)