Apr 29, 2012, 4:09 PM EST
If you’ve found yourself underwhelmed with how goalie Steve Mason played in Columbus the past few seasons, you’ll be happy to know you’re not alone.
Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch sitting tight on the team’s goaltending situation over the summer is one thing he is not about to do.
“We need a different look in goal,” Howson said. “We need better play from that position. I told Steve in our exit interviews (earlier this month) that we’re going to have a different look at that position next year, but that right now, nobody can predict what form that’s going to take.”
Welcome to the summer goaltending sweepstakes, Columbus!
Fortunately for Howson, there are names out there to pursue via trade. One of either Roberto Luongo or Cory Schneider, perhaps Kings backup youngster Jonathan Bernier, or maybe Boston’s Tim Thomas. Columbus will be in the hunt along with Tampa Bay and perhaps Chicago as well.
While you could argue about the grass being greener on the other side when looking to make a change in goal, the Blue Jackets can’t possibly get less consistent work than they’ve gotten from Mason. With Rick Nash as a potential player to dangle in a deal, the Jackets changes could be massive this summer.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 15
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)