Apr 29, 2012, 4:09 PM EST
If you’ve found yourself underwhelmed with how goalie Steve Mason played in Columbus the past few seasons, you’ll be happy to know you’re not alone.
Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch sitting tight on the team’s goaltending situation over the summer is one thing he is not about to do.
“We need a different look in goal,” Howson said. “We need better play from that position. I told Steve in our exit interviews (earlier this month) that we’re going to have a different look at that position next year, but that right now, nobody can predict what form that’s going to take.”
Welcome to the summer goaltending sweepstakes, Columbus!
Fortunately for Howson, there are names out there to pursue via trade. One of either Roberto Luongo or Cory Schneider, perhaps Kings backup youngster Jonathan Bernier, or maybe Boston’s Tim Thomas. Columbus will be in the hunt along with Tampa Bay and perhaps Chicago as well.
While you could argue about the grass being greener on the other side when looking to make a change in goal, the Blue Jackets can’t possibly get less consistent work than they’ve gotten from Mason. With Rick Nash as a potential player to dangle in a deal, the Jackets changes could be massive this summer.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 12
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)