Jun 15, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
According to Andy Strickland of True Hockey and the Fan 590 (who, it should be noted, was the first to report yesterday’s Chris Stewart signing), Sheldon Souray has rejected a one-year, $3 million offer from the Dallas Stars.
If accurate, it’s an interesting play from Camp Souray.
The 35-year-old rearguard has stated his desire to stay in Dallas after a successful comeback season. Souray posted 21 points in 65 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night — after spending 2010-11 in the minors — and did it on a one-year, $1.65 million deal.
At the time, the contract was as beneficial for him as it was for the Stars. It gave Souray the opportunity to show he could still play at the NHL level, and it gave Dallas a top-four defenseman for a bargain basement price.
Now, it appears the situation has changed.
Logic would suggest Souray’s seeking longer term (read: anything more than one year) rather than more money, as he’s been something of a nomad over the past three seasons, going from Edmonton to Hershey to Dallas. He also must figure there are suitors out there, given 1) the temporary salary cap rising to $70.3 million and 2) the UFA class lacking impact defensemen.
That said, he’s something of a risk given his age. Souray qualifies as a 35+ contract now, so any team that signs him is on the hook for the entirety of his deal.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 10
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 33
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 56
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 88
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut