Jun 15, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
According to Andy Strickland of True Hockey and the Fan 590 (who, it should be noted, was the first to report yesterday’s Chris Stewart signing), Sheldon Souray has rejected a one-year, $3 million offer from the Dallas Stars.
If accurate, it’s an interesting play from Camp Souray.
The 35-year-old rearguard has stated his desire to stay in Dallas after a successful comeback season. Souray posted 21 points in 65 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night — after spending 2010-11 in the minors — and did it on a one-year, $1.65 million deal.
At the time, the contract was as beneficial for him as it was for the Stars. It gave Souray the opportunity to show he could still play at the NHL level, and it gave Dallas a top-four defenseman for a bargain basement price.
Now, it appears the situation has changed.
Logic would suggest Souray’s seeking longer term (read: anything more than one year) rather than more money, as he’s been something of a nomad over the past three seasons, going from Edmonton to Hershey to Dallas. He also must figure there are suitors out there, given 1) the temporary salary cap rising to $70.3 million and 2) the UFA class lacking impact defensemen.
That said, he’s something of a risk given his age. Souray qualifies as a 35+ contract now, so any team that signs him is on the hook for the entirety of his deal.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)