Jun 15, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
According to Andy Strickland of True Hockey and the Fan 590 (who, it should be noted, was the first to report yesterday’s Chris Stewart signing), Sheldon Souray has rejected a one-year, $3 million offer from the Dallas Stars.
If accurate, it’s an interesting play from Camp Souray.
The 35-year-old rearguard has stated his desire to stay in Dallas after a successful comeback season. Souray posted 21 points in 65 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night — after spending 2010-11 in the minors — and did it on a one-year, $1.65 million deal.
At the time, the contract was as beneficial for him as it was for the Stars. It gave Souray the opportunity to show he could still play at the NHL level, and it gave Dallas a top-four defenseman for a bargain basement price.
Now, it appears the situation has changed.
Logic would suggest Souray’s seeking longer term (read: anything more than one year) rather than more money, as he’s been something of a nomad over the past three seasons, going from Edmonton to Hershey to Dallas. He also must figure there are suitors out there, given 1) the temporary salary cap rising to $70.3 million and 2) the UFA class lacking impact defensemen.
That said, he’s something of a risk given his age. Souray qualifies as a 35+ contract now, so any team that signs him is on the hook for the entirety of his deal.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)