Jun 15, 2012, 3:17 PM EST
According to Andy Strickland of True Hockey and the Fan 590 (who, it should be noted, was the first to report yesterday’s Chris Stewart signing), Sheldon Souray has rejected a one-year, $3 million offer from the Dallas Stars.
If accurate, it’s an interesting play from Camp Souray.
The 35-year-old rearguard has stated his desire to stay in Dallas after a successful comeback season. Souray posted 21 points in 65 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night — after spending 2010-11 in the minors — and did it on a one-year, $1.65 million deal.
At the time, the contract was as beneficial for him as it was for the Stars. It gave Souray the opportunity to show he could still play at the NHL level, and it gave Dallas a top-four defenseman for a bargain basement price.
Now, it appears the situation has changed.
Logic would suggest Souray’s seeking longer term (read: anything more than one year) rather than more money, as he’s been something of a nomad over the past three seasons, going from Edmonton to Hershey to Dallas. He also must figure there are suitors out there, given 1) the temporary salary cap rising to $70.3 million and 2) the UFA class lacking impact defensemen.
That said, he’s something of a risk given his age. Souray qualifies as a 35+ contract now, so any team that signs him is on the hook for the entirety of his deal.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)